nuki

Fiebings royal blue pro dye looks purple on some leather.

I am using leather that I bought from the same company in two different widths. I am using Royal Blue dye diluted 1:4 with denatured alcohol. Same amount of coats on both pieces. The smaller strap is the color I'm going for. Both deglazed before hand. I had some bad luck wetting the leather, neetsfoot, etc. So I just deglazed and dyed.applied both the same with a sponge or dauber.

I noticed that on my rag there, it seems there is a bit of pink/red almost leeching out of the diluted dye. That would make sense because red + blue = purple. But why would that even happen anyway? The flesh side looking closer to the shade I was chasing. 

Does anyone have any insight to what could be going on here? I wasted so much leather chasing that perfect color.  I had it mixed in a plastic disposable Tupperware type container.

Thanks!!

20220523_101248.jpg

Leather bought from the same company is not the same leather. Just as two maple boards will not be the same, two different hides will take dye differently. The only way to be sure of achieving the same results is to use leather pieces not only from the same side, but as close to each other as possible.

Do not mix dyes in a plastic container with denatured alcohol, the plastic container will not hold up to the chemicals being used to thin the dye - use glass!

Thank you so much for the info. I also wondered the same thing about plastic, but it was only for a few days.