Brokenolmarine

My Stitching Pony

I made this stitching pony a couple years ago from one I saw in a picture, yet added my own mods to better suit my needs.  The one I saw was fixed, but I put a swivel base so I could turn the work while sitting on the wings in a chair and sewing or while the base was clamped on the work surface as shown.  I also added a pair of rare earth magnets, one on either side, to HOLD the needles when I needed to adjust or change the work's position in the clamps so they didn't drop off the thread.  I use them all the time and find them very convenient.  I had planned to mount them flush, then realized that would make the needles harder to retrieve. 

In the original build I had intended to try and find a large wing nut, but then decided to make my own knob and used a large piece of maple and shaped it on the bandsaw and sander, then seated and glued the nut in place.  Worked out perfectly.  I have used this for years, though now I have the Cowboy 3200 it might see less use. ;)  There will still be some things I will sew by hand by choice or necessity.

:rolleyes:

my lil pony c.jpg

03 stitching pony c.jpg

very nice.  I still have the one I bought from Tandy.  Still functions, but not nearly as versatile.

man looks just about like mine  except mine doesn't swivel i like that a lot.

Similar to mine although after a couple years of using it regularly I removed the bolt and wing nut and I simply use a plastic "C" clamp.  Much quicker in my opinion and while I'm stitching I don't care how it looks.  I got the idea from watching Ian Atkinson's videos on youtube.  It is function over form, but I won't go back.

I could say I don't care how things look, but I'm also a woodworker, have been for decades.  My leather bench is in the corner of my woodshop.  Miss Tina will tell me to "Just knock it together out of scrap, " knowing full well I can't do that. ;)

Pretty much the same as mine, the swivel base is great for adjusting work angles and putting my feet on it keeps it steady. Only difference is I made a lever toggle so I could tighten/release the jaws quickly.

That would be cool, I find I like the fine adjustment offered in my setup.  I was/am always worried I'll damage tooling.  I'm thinking of making one with "long narrow gar" jaws to hold narrow or hollow projects like a small sheath or ammo pouches being box stitched.

Luvvit. The rare-earth magnets are a sweet touch. I'm going to blatantly copy your idea and add those to mine.

Yes , seems as though many of us make our own needed tools,

And I assume many are from akin backgrounds, such as wood metal, etc,

I too, am among those, made mine with similar mods many years ago..