Chux

Another bucket bag attempt...

I posted the first one I made in my previous post about trying my hand at a tote bag, but didn't want to "pollute" that post. Anyhow here's my second attempt at a bucket bag. I tried taking some of the suggestions I had received in the original post and making use of them on this one. It's slow going trying to teach myself how to use a machine but I'll keep plugging along

Thanks for looking 

20220523_163911.jpg

20220523_163931.jpg

20220523_164040.jpg

That looks good, I also found the top run of stitches very hard to get right as i think its all gets quite thick up the top and plenty of seams to sew over

Keep practicing

@Chux design looks good the stitching not so. The tension looks too tight on the top line in the first picture but I am wondering if it could be because it looks like you have run off of the edge on the inside lining. I have to ask what sewing machine you are using and whether it has a guide or not? Does it have a servo motor? Maybe you need to get it to slow slower. I can see some talent here but not with your stitching....yet. Thread tension -  If the thread is coming off the cone alright and smoothly then check your bobbin is also able to pull out smoothly. After that get some scrap and start stitching then tighten the top tension 1/2 turn and check the results then take it back. When you go from thick stuff and then down to thin stuff you can normally get away with a half turn tighter on the thicker stuff and 1/2 turn looser when going over the thin stuff. I adjust on the run quite often like this.

10 hours ago, chrisash said:

That looks good, I also found the top run of stitches very hard to get right as i think its all gets quite thick up the top and plenty of seams to sew over

Keep practicing

Thank you. I'm just plodding along trying to figure out what I'm doing. 

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

@Chux design looks good the stitching not so. The tension looks too tight on the top line in the first picture but I am wondering if it could be because it looks like you have run off of the edge on the inside lining. I have to ask what sewing machine you are using and whether it has a guide or not? Does it have a servo motor? Maybe you need to get it to slow slower. I can see some talent here but not with your stitching....yet. Thread tension -  If the thread is coming off the cone alright and smoothly then check your bobbin is also able to pull out smoothly. After that get some scrap and start stitching then tighten the top tension 1/2 turn and check the results then take it back. When you go from thick stuff and then down to thin stuff you can normally get away with a half turn tighter on the thicker stuff and 1/2 turn looser when going over the thin stuff. I adjust on the run quite often like this.

This is what I'm trying to learn how to use. I bought two different kinds of guides, one is magnetic and the other attaches with screws. The magnetic one seems to slide on me when I attempted to use it (once, lol) and I haven't attempted sewing with the other one yet, I bought both directly from sailrite, if that matters at all. 

Having to adjust the tension while sewing different thickness makes total sense, but to be honest...that never even occurred to me. I think alot of my issues with it is ME. I'll intend to stop stitching and inadvertently go full bore and the thing takes off. That's me being an idiot and pressing the pedal in the wrong direction. Can't blame the machine for my lack of coordination. 

20220524_131302.jpg

20220524_131312.jpg

Certainly not the type of machine I expected to see and considering that ....I have to say for a beginner you are doing pretty darn well. Sort of like going to a fight with one arm tied behind your back I think. A cylinder arm can be a flat bed as well if you want but not so good trying to make a flat bed be a cylinder.  It is good to see that it has not stopped you and no doubt in time you will find ways to make it work.

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Certainly not the type of machine I expected to see and considering that ....I have to say for a beginner you are doing pretty darn well. Sort of like going to a fight with one arm tied behind your back I think. A cylinder arm can be a flat bed as well if you want but not so good trying to make a flat bed be a cylinder.  It is good to see that it has not stopped you and no doubt in time you will find ways to make it work.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's funny how you find out about different kinds of sewing machines after you buy one...

I'll get it eventually, I'm sure but it's damn frustrating!! Grrrrrrrrr