ZigZag

Adler 98 Needle bar height

Hi all, I’m trying to retime my zig zag Adler 98, but despite loads of research I can’t find a service manual. The 98 is based (I think on the 67). Does anyone have any reference that might help.

thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

i do have  the same machine (and never found a service manual

But timing this machine is like other sewing machines:

you do not need to know an needle bar height

you can do it by turning the wheel to raise the needle bar ca 2 mm from the most lower position

than adjust the hook so that the hook meets the needle

than adjust the needle bar height so that the hook point is in the middle  of the scarf (the space above the needle hole)

because it is an zig zag machine you need to pay a little extra attention because the hook is early on the left side of the zig zag and late on the right side

You can time it with the zig zag off and the needle in the middle and after wards check with zig zag on  the widest setting

to see if it is timed well for both sides

but what i sometimes  do is time it on the left position in a way that the scarf is just above the needle hole

hope this helps

kind regards michiel

Thanks Michiel, much appreciated. I’m aware of the left / right timing issues, but it keeps missing a left hand stitch every once in while and when timing, the hook does look a little low in the scarfe. I’ll try dropping it a mill and see how it goes. 
thanks

Nick