BeefSupreme

Belt Punch Dies - Looking for a die maker

Normally I go through Weaver for all of my die production, but they are out of stock and have a long backorder on belt punch dies (buckle/billet strap ends). Does anyone know of a die maker that will make dies for the Weaver Strap Punch machine?

These dies: https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-6682-11-2/billet-end-belt-die-for-master/pr_35279

For this machine: https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-6680/master-tool-self-centering/pr_35232

Already reached out to Texas Custom Dies and they do not make these.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:43 PM, BeefSupreme said:

Normally I go through Weaver for all of my die production, but they are out of stock and have a long backorder on belt punch dies (buckle/billet strap ends). Does anyone know of a die maker that will make dies for the Weaver Strap Punch machine?

These dies: https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-6682-11-2/billet-end-belt-die-for-master/pr_35279

For this machine: https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-6680/master-tool-self-centering/pr_35232

Already reached out to Texas Custom Dies and they do not make these.

+

interested as well

may be not in States only, EU or somewhere else, who can make quality metalworks and post it

The extremely generous RockyAussie posted this topic on the subject.  I have to believe the talented folks here can make this pretty easily.  I've seen some incredible skill in metalwork here and this should be fairly simple for some to produce.

Dang, is he still active here, and does he do commission work?  I could really use a punch like this for my 1/2" wide collar work.  Hand-punching straight holes for the buckle prongs is bringing me tons of grief.

22 hours ago, jcwoman said:

Dang, is he still active here, and does he do commission work?  I could really use a punch like this for my 1/2" wide collar work.  Hand-punching straight holes for the buckle prongs is bringing me tons of grief.

Get yourself a cup of good strong coffee . . . and turn off the TV . . .  radio . . . and send everyone out of the house.  It needs to be done by you . . . and it takes serious concentration.

Take a piece of a manila file folder . . . draw lines on it EXACTLY THE WIDTH of your belt or collar.

Draw a line down the EXACT  center.

Measure off and mark EXACTLY where the left edge of each hole will be on that center line.

Lay your punch on that center line . . . next to the left edge mark . . . punch out the hole in the file folder.

Continue until you have all of them punched.

Take a razor knife and a straight edge . . . cut the outsides of the pattern.

Now all you have to do to make straight punches is lay it on the leather and very lightly lay your punch in the hole and lightly tap it to mark where the hole should be.

Remove your pattern . . . punch the holes.  

So help me it is a whole lot better than that overpriced thing from weaver.

May God bless,

Dwight

ameriken online probably has your punches.

Campbell Randall 

Hey all.

Not exactly what is asked for, but here's a hole punching tool I found a little while back.  I may take a bit of the stress out of punching holes.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/997280427/beltstrap-center-punch-guide?click_key=ee43145a07339bf4032e0768de24c10ece9f67ea%3A997280427&click_sum=a20898a9&ref=price_range_narrowing_module_market-3&frs=1&sts=1

They also have their own site as well.  

Neil

Old school but here is what I used on everything from 5/8" headstalls to 3" stirrup leathers. It is a cheap and easy to do master and you likely have everything already. The technique was shared with me by an old friend. He had drawers of them - full and half hole stirrup leathers for Blevins, English and western headstalls, belts, tiedowns, breast collar tugs, etc. Take a strip of the leather the width of the strap. Scribe a centerline and then scribe off your desired hole spacing with a divider. On each spot punch a hole and set a copper rivet. You can leave the stem a little long. The master is done. To use it just lay it on your strap with the peened side down and tap with a small hammer. The peen will make impressions that are easy enough to follow. 

some where on here I saw an acrylic thing with a center hole and 2 end holes that you just put over your belt and turned it till it stopped and the center hole would be dead center of the belt works on all widths of belts.

This;

Strap hole spacer, 04LWs.jpg

There is short pin in the outside holes. These go up against your belt or strap. The lines are to help with the linear spacing of the buckle-tongue holes. The spring clamps were just put on to hold the thingy in place whilst I photographed it. They are not needed in use

yep thats what I was takin about:yes:

For handiness I have three sizes; (old picture, before the big one got the lines added)

Strap hole spacer, 01LWs.jpg

Made with some scrap acrylic and some 3mm aluminium tubing. They each took about 30 minutes maybe to make, using hand tools. Would take less time with power tools. Cheap as chips to make but worth a ton of gold

Im gonna laser cut a few:thumbsup: