Blissy42

"Skate Leather"

I am an ice skate technician, who does equipment repairs for ice skates.  An "old hand" mentor of mine showed me a piece of leather he said is known as "skate leather," and is used for repairing various parts of ice hockey skates.  Now I'm sure that's just what they called it, and there's no specific designation or type of leather for it.

He didn't have a source for acquiring any.  

Could anyone recommend a type of leather that would have excellent toughness properties, resistant to excessive stretching, is not too thick, and can be folded and conform to contours of the skate.  An example for its use would be in the lacing area of a skate when an eyelet rips out.  The fix would be to cut a piece of the leather to fit the area, the internal reinforcement cut out and replaced, the leather patch folded over and sewn through.  Then new eyelets punched.  

Thank you for your input!

1 hour ago, Blissy42 said:

I am an ice skate technician, who does equipment repairs for ice skates.  An "old hand" mentor of mine showed me a piece of leather he said is known as "skate leather," and is used for repairing various parts of ice hockey skates.  Now I'm sure that's just what they called it, and there's no specific designation or type of leather for it.

He didn't have a source for acquiring any.  

Could anyone recommend a type of leather that would have excellent toughness properties, resistant to excessive stretching, is not too thick, and can be folded and conform to contours of the skate.  An example for its use would be in the lacing area of a skate when an eyelet rips out.  The fix would be to cut a piece of the leather to fit the area, the internal reinforcement cut out and replaced, the leather patch folded over and sewn through.  Then new eyelets punched.  

Thank you for your input!

i used to make toe guards for my adult daughters skates(  roller derby) and her team mates also, regular veg tan works perfect for that because you can wet form it nicely around the toe piece. don't go to thick i used 4oz for those. 

Edited by chuck123wapati

I always found a thinner black cowhide worked well. I’ve given up skate repairs with these new carbon fiber boots.

3 hours ago, Hockeymender said:

I always found a thinner black cowhide worked well. I’ve given up skate repairs with these new carbon fiber boots.

Any relation to Phil and Tony?  Tony was my favorite player back in the day.  Loved watching him play.

This is exactly the type of information I needed--thank you!  

Joe--I definitely agree with you, but I think there are still some parts of skates that can be correctly repaired--it's just getting to be fewer every year!

Look at Hyde vintage skates or rather do some research as to what leather was used to make their skates.  Betty Lytle / Hyde roller skates.

I can't recall the Hide type but it is not cow.

Good luck

Silverd