AdamDavis

Sewing machine help needed in western washington

Hello western Washington from eastern Washington. How goes the battle with your class 26 machine? Are you getting it sorted out? I ordered mine last week and was told 3-4 weeks out which seems strange for a machine that's supposed to be in stock. However good things to those who wait. This machine is close to my New Tech gc-8b cylinder arm machine. Its just all the little things that need to be learned. Thread to needle size, upper thread to lower thread, bobbin and upper tension (probably the most important). Once you get the hang of those few basics it gets pretty easy. My Thor 1541s has dual tension knobs. Try figuring that one on for size. Give me a shout if your in need of any constructive guessing.

Why would you do that? Your not going to find an easier to use machine. They do take a little tinkering, but once you get the hang of it they sew so nice. Have you called the leather machine company for help? What is your biggest issue?

AdamDavis, please don't give up on it, you have a very nice machine there. Although I'm mechanically inclined and like to think I can fix almost anything, for most of my life sewing machines were a mystery to me and to be honest I was slightly intimidated by them, so much so that I if I wanted something sewn I had to get my wife to do it! When I got into leatherwork a few years back it was all hand stitching until a friend gave me his old Singer post bed that he didn't want. Believe me, it was a long slow process trying to figure out how to use it (coming with a clutch motor didn't help!!). So don't give up, you have an advantage over me in that your first machine is new (nothing missing or worn out to cause problems) and is capable of doing what you want, none of mine were (I make holsters) but I didn't understand why for quite a while. 

Unless you've been fiddling with some of the screws, nuts and bolts and re-adjusted things willy-nilly it should sew leather, you've got the right needles and it's stitching, the main issue is likely to be getting the thread tension correct - and that is going to be trial and error.

@dikman thanks for  the encouragement. I’m still looking for a class of some type to expedite that “long slow process”. 

@Flatcapper maybe when you get your machine you can show me how to use mine. I’d pay $$ . Good luck.

If you are on Facebook, there is a group that is called  to Cobra sewing machines tips and tricks. Al Bane and Bruce Brand are the moderators and it is like having a direct line to support.