toxo

Neetsfoot oil bleed!

I'm halfway through a foragers bag and the leather components are around 4oz veg tan. After dyeing I planned to Resolene the top side and thought I'd treat it to some neetsfoot oil. Not wanting to mess with the top side because of the Resolene, I applied some oil to the back side. It made it's way to the top side in double quick time and now the dye is "alive" again. I know it would be a waste of time trying to put Resolene on it now. Is there anything to be done?

The flesh side (back side) will typically will always penetrate/soak up what ever is placed on it , sometimes crazy quick too depending on the piece of leather,than the grain side. I learned this the hard way when I accidentally touched a dye dauber to the backside of a piece that was already dyed a different color and the accidental color was already on the surface as soon as it happened.

If the NFO has soaked through evenly and there isnt any discoloration of your dye job, you can opt to let it dry and see if the color remains consistent and hasn't lightened or become splotchy. The other option is to rub/buff the piece down with a rag, to remove the NFO that's has migrated to the surface, which will likely remove some of your dye job in the process. In which case you can allow the piece to dry for a day and then re-dye/touch up the piece to restore the depth of color you want. 

Thanks Scott but it's been two days now and I've use half a large size kitchen towel and it's still coming off. I've even rubbed a coat of thinners over it and it's still coming through. Have I ever learned a lesson here. Read somewhere that a scrub in hot water might do it. have to drill out some rivets but it's useless like it is. I'll let you know.

Before you start removing rivets, try applying a beeswax based leather conditioner to the grain side and rub it in over several applications. You'll likely still gets some rub off as you do this but the introduction of the beeswax in the conditioner should help reduce the rub off and seal the grain side from the NFO migration. Once you do that, let it sit for a day or so to soak in. After which, you can go back and touch up color if need be and then do your resolene sealer.

Two extreme things to try;

1. washing it down with cellulose thinners

2. putting it in a bed of oatmeal or kitty litter, for either of those to absorb the excess oil out, but that could take weeks

1 hour ago, fredk said:

2. putting it in a bed of oatmeal or kitty litter, for either of those to absorb the excess oil out, but that could take weeks

Cornmeal or hardwood sawdust will work also.

I did similar to a shoulder holster one time.

After messing with it for way too long . . . 

It went into the trash . . . garbage man carried it away . . . along with the trouble it would have continued to cause me.

May God bless,

Dwight

Days/weeks haha. No chance. It's just two small pieces and it wouldn't have taken that long to do em over but it had become a thing now otherwise I'd have gone with Dwight.

After a bath in seriously hot water and fairy liquid (Dawn) I tipped some dark brown water away and I thought I'd cracked it. I hastened the drying with a hair dryer and there was not much difference. 3 similar baths later, with each one throwing away brown water has them drying on paper towels. Will try again tomorrow.

I know people use and some swear by NFO, but the simple fact is that you can never really get it all out of the leather. Which is why learned people caution others from using it excessively, as the long term effects of it is when it eventually oxidizes in the leather is that stiff,greyish/white color leather turns over time when not cared for. Which is why I don't think you will have very much luck with continuing to wash/bathe the pieces. Have you tried applying a beeswax based product as I suggested earlier to it yet?

Update! Four times was the charm. Here's the offending pieces after 4 very hot baths and a coat of Resolene.IMG_20220529_172805.jpg

Here's the (almost) finished pouch.

IMG_20220529_214436.jpg

IMG_20220529_214613.jpg

IMG_20220529_220338.jpg

Glad to see you got it under control and it worked out.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, Dwight said:

I did similar to a shoulder holster one time.

After messing with it for way too long . . . 

It went into the trash . . . garbage man carried it away . . . along with the trouble it would have continued to cause me.

May God bless,

Dwight

Did similar with the straps recently.  Going to make a shoulder rig to carry my .357 hunting with them now.  I don't care if it rubs off on the hunting gear.  And I was using Olive oil, just used too much.  Those straps sure are nice and soft though.  The customer got all new straps.  

To the OP, try the resolene.  If you used a light coat it might work.  It stopped about 90% of the rub off after I over oiled my straps.  I was surprised it did that much after Mop and Glo did nothing to stop it.  

Edited by chiefjason

Glad to see you got it under control . . . 

Nice looking bag . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight