Davm

Buck stitch

Hope this is the right place to post a question.  Most tutorials on how to buck stitch are so a continuous border back to the start, such as a wallet or a belt- all around the perimeter.  On knife sheaths and holsters this doesn't happen- you have a straight edge with a top and bottom.  How do you handle the tag ends?  In a wrap stitch you  simply place the tag along the edge and cover with wraps.  On the buck stitch you can't really do such. All help appreciated. Thanks. 

Here is a video which shows one way to "anchor" the end of the buck stitch.  The technique begins a little after the 2:00 mark in the video.  I'm not sure it is conducive to both ends, but what I'd do is use this anchor technique on the top of the sheath where there will be more stress and then on the bottom I would terminate the stitch between the two layers of leather and glue it in place.  I think that would work OK in most instances where you have a straight stich.

THANKS.  I had thought about a slit in the end but I would have had it between the stitches- never thought of the slit between the holes in the two sides, makes a very neat job.  Snowshoes use rawhide lace and the slit on the tag end is common but it sort of takes up space- no problem on a snowshoe but a problem if between two pieces of leather.