hickok55

lace holes

I was wondering how far apart the two lace holes should be from each other on a pair of step-in chaps. 

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 14.12.45.png

I would place them the same as the width of your lace;  1/2" lace - 1/2" apart   5/8" - 5/8 etc

1 hour ago, hickok55 said:

I was wondering how far apart the two lace holes should be from each other on a pair of step-in chaps. 

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 14.12.45.png

Whatever spacing you want. The wider the lacing the wider the vertical spacing can be, which looks balanced. Large wide lace too close together looks cramped and thin lace too far apart looks unbalanced loose.  eg 1/2 inch width can be from 1/2 inch to 1 inch apart

But I'd say never go below 1/8 inch [3.18mm]

Edited by fredk

Are you using conchos to lace through?  If so use slightly further apart than the concho.  

44 minutes ago, bland said:

Are you using conchos to lace through?  If so use slightly further apart than the concho.  

no im not using conchos 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:16 PM, hickok55 said:

no im not using conchos 

Then as others have said.  Make the spread about the same as the width of the lace maybe a little longer.  i.e. if your lace is 1/2 make your slots 1/2 to 3/4 inch apart depending on the look you like.  I would do a test piece to see what is appealing to you.  If these are for working chaps I would use lace smaller than 3/8 inch 1/2 inch or something in the 10mm to 13mm range. Then on the backside spread you could go up to 2 to 3 inches or 50 to 75mm.  Again your test piece will show you what you like.