PeterinID

New to me - Consew 289RB-1

I just bought this machine for $500 from a guy who didn't really know how to use it. When I picked it up he had 277 thread incorrectly threaded through the machine and was using a size 23 needle. The bobbin thread was very loosely wound and his top tension was extremely loose. He said the machine was always tangling up, the reverse never worked and he didn't have time to tinker around with it. He was using thick saddle and tack leather. He had bought it used from a seller who tried using it to sew emblems on baseball caps.

I had time to tinker around with it, got it threaded correctly, switched to 207 thread top and bottom with a 24 needle and got it timed and sewing properly - in forward but not reverse.

In the process of getting this done I learned there were a few variants of the 289RB-1 which had differences in lubrication and stitch length adjustment. The manual I downloaded from Consew did not provide this information, I found it in a different manual I located and then subsequently lost the url for. The variation I have has a oil reservoir for lubrication as well as lubrication points marked with red paint. This model adjusts stitch length by removing a set screw, depressing a button on the baseplate and rotating the flywheel until the button drops and then rotating the flywheel forward or reverse to change length. This is trial and error, no visible numbers or other length calibration markers are present.

All in all I am satisfied with what I got for the money.

There are a couple of question that I am seeking advise on.

First, should I be using both the oil reservoir and marked oil points for lubrication?

Second, What should I try to get reverse to work properly? Right now it either does not reverse at all or the reverse stitch length is a fraction of the forward length.

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

When you use the reverse lever, are you lifting it all the way up? If not, that might be the problem?

By the way, good looking machine you have there, and what a deal! Congrats!

Edited by suzelle

10 hours ago, suzelle said:

When you use the reverse lever, are you lifting it all the way up?

The reverse lever on this machine gets pushed down, not up. It is totally separate from the stitch length adjuster.

Here is an adjusters' manual. It's the best I can find.

CONSEW+289RB+INSTRUCTION+MANUAL.pdf

41 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

The reverse lever on this machine gets pushed down, not up. It is totally separate from the stitch length adjuster.

Here is an adjusters' manual. It's the best I can find.

CONSEW+289RB+INSTRUCTION+MANUAL.pdf 1.04 MB · 0 downloads

Yes, you are right Wiz. I haven't used my Consew for a bit, since I started using the Juki. Oops!

I have the manual Wizcrafts posted, that Consew manual has an diagram image of a Seiko branded machine so I looked and found a manual for the Seiko PW-26 which the Consew appears to be a clone of. The Seiko manual provides more information on the two types - CW, LCW, my Consew is the LCW type but is also marked for CW type lubrication points. Neither manual contains instructions on my machines stitch length adjustment. I have a button close to the post that is depressed and while holding the button down the flywheel is turned until the button drops, then the flywheel is turned forward or reverse to increase or decrease stitch length.

When I push the reverse bar down on my machine the stitch length is almost zero.

I don't know what to do to - increase the reverse stitch length, increase feeder pressure or something else?

pw6.pdf

On 6/6/2022 at 8:38 AM, PeterinID said:

I have the manual Wizcrafts posted, that Consew manual has an diagram image of a Seiko branded machine so I looked and found a manual for the Seiko PW-26 which the Consew appears to be a clone of. The Seiko manual provides more information on the two types - CW, LCW, my Consew is the LCW type but is also marked for CW type lubrication points. Neither manual contains instructions on my machines stitch length adjustment. I have a button close to the post that is depressed and while holding the button down the flywheel is turned until the button drops, then the flywheel is turned forward or reverse to increase or decrease stitch length.

When I push the reverse bar down on my machine the stitch length is almost zero.

I don't know what to do to - increase the reverse stitch length, increase feeder pressure or something else?

pw6.pdf 702.99 kB · 0 downloads

Sight unseen it will be hard for me to pinpoint the problem so I can only let you know what to check.First tilt it back & push the handle down & make sure no screws are loose collars connected to the lever otherwise it won't be making it's full travel down.someone may have been adjusting the screws marked by the screwdriver,make sure the upper one is all the way out,they may have loosen the clamp on this & turned the whole piece. & the same thing goes for the other clamp with a big screw an inch to the left of the last adjustment. HTH

reverse adj.jpg