Iceflags

My Rossi 92 Got Me Interested

Greetings,

I'm looking into buying supplies and getting started on my first projects. Bags, belt pouches, cartridge loops, survival and shooting gear, that kind of thing.

I'm on a college student budget, so I thought I'd see about hand-stitching with sinew and hunting for scraps until I can get my hands on a halfway decent sewing machine.

This article is the extent of my knowledge so far. https://www.instructables.com/Introduction-to-Leatherworking/

Looking forward to learning from you all.

Edited by Iceflags

Welcome

Lots of help and inspiration to be found here :-)

Brgds

Jonas

Welcome. You might need one of these buttstock cuffs. No stitching. 

2AFEBC1C-55DF-498B-A592-6F2731D5662B.jpeg

10 hours ago, 327fed said:

Welcome. You might need one of these buttstock cuffs. No stitching. 

2AFEBC1C-55DF-498B-A592-6F2731D5662B.jpeg

Thanks - how are the loops kept in place?

Their are slots cut with a bag punch and laced through. No stitches. I used rivets at ends but not needed. See Dwight’s method below. 

Here is another no stitch firearm project. You could you use rivets instead of the snap but the snap lets you put it on without taking off your belt. 

39F2F8CC-8D4E-4039-91B9-65DDFBF3F22E.jpeg

Edited by 327fed

You can do one like this without stitching, or you can hand stitch the buttplate piece 

9B48D3C3-5508-4F2C-A9CE-1A3159B10543.thumb.jpeg.653aba005aadf5a2ab28062ddaa4fe49.jpeg

Nice. You can also add a sling attached in the buttplate strap if you don’t have sling swivels. 

I'll give Dwight's method a try for starters - I'll have to look into how I'd do a sling attachment point

You're going to need some of these!

I made them for my Browning B92 and Marlin 39A Original Golden.

levercover.jpg

20 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

You're going to need some of these!

I made them for my Browning B92 and Marlin 39A Original Golden.

levercover.jpg

I have one that I ordered and it's a great little accessory. The front of the lever wrap also makes a nice indexing spot for my trigger finger.

Thanks for the replies so far. I did a supply run, purchased some belly, and got started on my first-ever attempt at a project, pictured below.

The material seems pretty thick and inflexible. Should my next step be some kind of wet molding to get a more precise fit to the stock?

20220606_212021.jpg.856e50b10bc2516e96a232adc15ed6ec.jpg

Edited by Iceflags

Looks a little long. Stamp it, punch it, put your loops, grommets, dye it, wet mold last if needed. For the straight grip stock you may need a strap around the back to keep it from slipping forward. 

Edited by 327fed

9 hours ago, Iceflags said:

Thanks for the replies so far. I did a supply run, purchased some belly, and got started on my first-ever attempt at a project, pictured below.

The material seems pretty thick and inflexible. Should my next step be some kind of wet molding to get a more precise fit to the stock?

20220606_212021.jpg.856e50b10bc2516e96a232adc15ed6ec.jpg

I does look a little thick, I usually use 5-6 ounce on mine and they get beat up pretty good at CAS matches.  Are you going to line it?

One big problem can be the sun bleaching the rest of the woodwork whilst the wood under the sleeve remains dark. Maybe not a great deal on rifles but shotguns tend to have nice walnut but the good side is they are not often out of their sleeves

This style might stay put better on a straight stock. 

image.jpeg

Edited by 327fed

The stock cover is on hold for now, but I managed to kludge some loops together, so I'll consider this a successful introduction thread.

20220608_172557.thumb.jpg.201ad3f8c5e4634c31b6c6d8b2b74984.jpg

Looks good! :rockon:   It would probably been easier to do your edging and burnishing before.  I do like your choice of words, “kludge” isn’t something you hear everyday, I like it.