Alright, now I've got a question and I've been looking for an answer and can't seem to fine one, so if anyone has it, please let me know. What is the difference exactly between Hope, Visila, and Santa Fe saddles or are they all the same saddle going by a different name? I'm asking mostly in the 1800s perspective, but also curious about modern definitions. I know they're all A-Fork drover saddles and are all narrower through the fork than the slightly younger Wade saddles which are a cross between A-Fork and Swell Fork, but I'm wondering if the above mentioned saddles are the same or different and if they're different, what are the differences and are there any other similar styles or different names for the same saddles?

There are a lot of differences in the styles  that you referenced.  Mainly relative to the time period when these saddles were in production and their usage.  Much is relative to the evolution of American saddle making over the past 150 years.  The Hope style is one of the earliest of the "western" style of saddles.  It is a hybrid combination of European and American plantation style saddles with some of the earliest examples of carved/stamped decorations in the leather found in America.  Horned saddles were not necessary until post Civil War when wild cattle were rounded up and driven to market, marking the beginning of the "cowboy" era.  Basically all saddles were slick fork swells until the turn of the last century, when shaped swells began to show up by innovative saddlemakers to meet the demands of the cowboys.  The Mexican Vaquero influence can also be seen in the early southwestern saddles and can be credited for some of the development of our modern Wade saddles with the large post horn.  The "Wade," as we know it, did not show up till about 1940.  Visallia Saddle Co. make very popular slick fork saddles with steel horns from the late 1800's thru the 50's.  Their 3B is still a very popular slick fork swell still today.  Much of this can be researched using old saddle catalogs.  Keith

Thanks. Yeah, I know of the Hope being young, just wondering if it went by another name besides drover. Also, is there a difference between Charro and Silla or is Silla just an older word for a Charro saddle?