This is sort of an odd situation and I wouldn't like to be in it, but here goes:

I bought a bow recently.  Due to a misunderstanding I wound up with one covered in white leather instead of tan; the company is overseas and I didn't think it was worth the time or shipping charges to exchange it.  I'd like to dye it tan so it doesn't call attention to itself like it does now.  I have on hand Fiebings water-based saddle tan, Leather Sheen and Resolene.  The leather seems to be lambskin or a very thin, fine cowhide, and feels chrome-tanned.  There aren't really any inconspicuous spots to test-dye.  The bow itself is fiberglass with wooden siyahs and what look to be synthetic string bridges.

Given the above, should I 1)  not bother and just use it as it is because it's not likely to take dye or getting it wet could damage it, 2)  use the dye I have now and seal it with either the Leather Sheen or Resolene, or 3)  order a different dye and/or sealer?

0606221000b.jpg

very cool bow!!! My first choice would be to make a new one second choice i would attempt to paint it instead of dying it. . Reason you dont have any idea what type of leather and or what was used as a finish or oils already applied.

I agree with Chuck, what’s the pull weight? Can you easily remove it? Can you get closer pictures? What is it used for?

The bow is fiberglass. The leather should not be structural, but just decoration, or to provide a better hand grip. Okay, it MIGHT play a role in dampening vibration when you loose the string. If that's the case - and I've been involved with archery for a long, long time, and have seen many bows, so I think I'm right - there is NO reason you should not be able to remove it and replace it with something dyed another colour.

It looks like it's just laced onto the bow, so removing it should be simple.

If it turns out to be difficult to remove, because it's glued to the bow,  you could try deglazing it first, then dyeing. The primary ingredient in deglazer is acetone, and it will not harm fiberglass. It's actually used to remove stains from fiberglass. My one concern would be a reaction between the fiberglass and whatever glue they'd used on the leather, but if you just wipe it on lightly with a rag, then let it dry, I think you will be good!

I have never seen a bow that looks just like that. Very interesting design! Where was it made? And what are you planning to do with it? What's the draw weight?

Edited by Sheilajeanne

It's a 25lb. Ali Bow Mini Han.  I got it for historical battle reenactment because I wanted the smallest bow possible so the belt-mounted bowcase wouldn't be too much of an encumbrance while running around (the type of bowcase for my historical period is relatively large and heavy, with a thick wooden spine).

I agree removing the leather would be a good idea, but it's bound by the string at the bridges and grip and I've never done that kind of fine string wrapping -- even if I got good instructions and succeeded at redoing it, it'd probably look sloppy.

Painting may be a good idea if I can keep it neat and be fairly sure it won't flake.  Otherwise, I could write to the company and ask if they'd be willing to divulge any information about the leather -- though I'd guess they just buy it prefinished and don't worry too much about the exact processes or finishes used as long as it's the right color, texture and weight.

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

The primary ingredient in deglazer is acetone, and it will not harm fiberglass. It's actually used to remove stains from fiberglass. 

Acetone WILL harm the fibreglass resin. I use acetone to clean up tools and brushes. Acetone dissolves the resin. It will take stains off the top surface of fibreglass because it dissolves the resin surface

I would manually strip off the white and put on new veg tan. Wet mould it to shape first, take off and dye and whilst still damp from the dye, put back on the bow so it dries and tightens down around the limb

Well that just shows you you can't trust everything you read on the internet! :rolleyes2: Several articles that popped up from my search said it was just fine to use it on fiberglass. 

Anyway, if he deglazes the leather CAREFULLY, just getting the surface of the leather damp, I think it should work. But stripping the leather off would be my first choice, too, though I'd want to check with the bowyer first to make sure those cord wrappings are just holding the leather in place, and aren't part of the structure of the bow.

Well, I thank you for your thoughts, but as mentioned, I really doubt I'd be able to redo the string wrapping correctly.  Suppose for the time being that it's stuck with the leather the maker put on it.