SpiderPunk

How do I remove these odd stains? Help!

Hello wonderful community! I'm pretty new here and usually browse around as a guest. However I've got a situation on my hands that I can't seem to find a solution to. 

I'm currently making an Alien Facehugger mask that required some wet formed pieces. There are around 50-60 pieces to this particular mask. I had just finished beveling and sanding all these pieces(it took an ETERNITY). It was finally time to get to wetmolding and alllll was fine and dandy until a dark pattern started to appear.. on the single most important piece of the entire damn project... Just the one. 

I've found other posts where metal shavings have come into contact with wet projects and caused dark spots or others found mold on their leather. I can say with certainty that this isn't that. 

I've tried removing this discoloration with alcohol (which seemed to make it worse) and I've tried using odorless mineral spirits. All 50+ pieces were cleaned with minerals spirits prior to this because I was an idiot and used masking tape to hold down my patterns and try to reduce as much leather scrap waste as possible. I quickly found out that the tape leaves behind a residue that could only be removed with the mineral spirits at hand. That being said, I basically deglazed every piece so there shouldn't be any trace or and weird substance on the leather, right???

What caused this? Why did this happen to the ONE piece if they were all cut from the same hide? Thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read this and is willing to help out a fellow maker. 

1.jpg

2..jpg

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded photos, removed 3rd party host link

I forgot to mention that I had to leave for a couple hours after I soaked the leather. To avoid it from drying out and to case it I suppose, I put the leather pieces in a brand new ziplock back with new paper towels that I dampened with water. The water I used for the whole process was tap water that I treated with Reptisafe which dechlorinates the water. As stated, only one piece was affected poorly even though the rest were treated exactly the same way with the same materials and environment. 

I just tried cleaning it off with lemon juice diluted with water. It seems to have no effect. I've seen people mentioning this method to remove other stains cause my metal or mold. I've also heard of people using lemon juice to "bleach" leather. Am I doing it wrong? Am I supposed to let it sit for a day or something to see an effect? I'm at a total loss here. 

Hard to tell from the pictures but the pattern looks like it came from the paper towel?    When I case my leather in a bag I don't put anything with it and have even reused the same bag without any issues.  And I just use distilled water found at most any grocery store.    Are you planning to dye it?  Looks like you have nothing to lose if you don't try it, otherwise maybe get ready to make another replacement piece. 

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

Hard to tell from the pictures but the pattern looks like it came from the paper towel?    When I case my leather in a bag I don't put anything with it and have even reused the same bag without any issues.  And I just use distilled water found at most any grocery store.    Are you planning to dye it?  Looks like you have nothing to lose if you don't try it, otherwise maybe get ready to make another replacement piece. 

Good luck.

Thank you for your input. I was planning on dying it but only putting a super light coat of mostly yellow and a little brown on the edges and creases. I was thinking it could have been adhesive on the paper towels because it was a new roll, but the pattern doesn't match the paper and all the other leather pieces are blemish free. Unfortunately I don't have enough leather to cut another piece like it. I'm super bummed because the hide has little stretch marks that look like veins flowing perfectly with the pattern. I thought a little dye would help them really pop, but something else decided to realllly pop first. 

@SpiderPunk  Please don't use 3rd party hosting sites.  Some go out of business, change their policies, OPs move files, delete files, change permissions, and the photos are no longer available.  This makes the post useless when it happens.  As you peruse various threads, you will find several where the original photos are no longer available.

If you are finding that your photo files are too large to be able to post here, reduce the file size.

I have uploaded your files to the first post at the top of this thread (after I reduced the file sizes to 1024x???).

50 minutes ago, Northmount said:

@SpiderPunk  Please don't use 3rd party hosting sites.  Some go out of business, change their policies, OPs move files, delete files, change permissions, and the photos are no longer available.  This makes the post useless when it happens.  As you peruse various threads, you will find several where the original photos are no longer available.

If you are finding that your photo files are too large to be able to post here, reduce the file size.

I have uploaded your files to the first post at the top of this thread (after I reduced the file sizes to 1024x???).

My apologies. I couldn't figure out how to change my file size and got the idea to use a 3rd party from another post I saw on here. I'm not sure how you did it, but thank you so much for fixing this issue for me. I promise I won't make the same mistake again. 

Try 1Tbs of Oxalic crystals in a pint of water. I apply it with flannel rags. Damp it down and let it dry.

3 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Try 1Tbs of Oxalic crystals in a pint of water. I apply it with flannel rags. Damp it down and let it dry.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out. I went out and purchased Bar Keepers Friend as it contains oxalic acid and applied it with fingers crossed. No luck. The markings are strange. Almost look like pyrography up close. It's really got me scratching my head as the leather was squeaky clean prior to soaking it in water. I've even gone so far as to wash my hands each time I sat down to work on this project. 

6 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Try 1Tbs of Oxalic crystals in a pint of water.

Great minds really do think alike  :) 

@SpiderPunk Is it going to be dyed ?  Perhaps the dye will hide the marks? :dunno:

Thats quite an undertaking , look forward to seeing the end result. 

HS

Thanks @Northmount for clearing up the pictures a bit  :taptap:   

I don't know if I have anything really to add but if you don't have a replacement size leather ready to go and if you tried cleaning/cleaners than maybe just go with the dye.   Whenever I try to explain to my wife about a project and just dive in/go for it,  my wife calls it 'art roulette'.     

Man, that was alot of work and I think its safe to say we've all had projects that ended up having an 'oh crap'.    Just gotta press on. 

Let us know how it turns out. 

On 6/6/2022 at 6:18 PM, SpiderPunk said:

I couldn't figure out how to change my file size

Look at this thread for lots of suggestions and helps.

@JayEhl and @Handstitched I guess my only option at this point is to dye it darker. I wanted to keep it light as these little guys in the Alien films are quite pale. Alcohol, lemon juice, and Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) didn't work so I tried removing the marks with good ol' saddle soap and a magic eraser just for gits and shingles. No luck. I'll post some pics of the end results when I gain the courage to move forward haha. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Before you try a dark dye, why not try dappling it all over with a very light dye applied with an art sponge or similar. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

I hesitate to mention that I recently had to wash some veg tan with very hot water and dish detergent (4 times) to get the neetsfoot oil out of it. You'll have to re- wet mould but maybe better than re-doing the piece.

I like @toxo idea.  Nothing to lose.

If i was to dye this, i´d use a dye like ROC, and add 1 part of the dye, then 4 or 5 parts water in a pump spray bottle. Then mix it properly and spray it all over, and control the patina and stains of the facehugger bit by bit.

When done, i´d go over it with a satin sheen and then polish with a fat / wax.

I only see stains like this as patina and a cool effect, so try working it in instead of out if possible =)

Added an old piece i made years back, and i ended up with stains that i instead rubbed out and left in, then sealed it and it worked out fine for the job.

Resize Folder.jpg

Edited by Grihm

On 6/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, tsunkasapa said:

What he said...