DoItYourself

Can a Pricking Iron be used as a Stitching Chisel?

I understand the difference in uses between the two, pricking irons and stitching chisels, but I don't understand from a manufacturing process what the difference between the two is. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Even though it is taboo, I have had success using a pricking iron to create holes and foregone using an awl.

It seems that all pricking irons I have come across are french style (slanted flat teeth), could that be the difference and due to their thin nature they are more prone to break when hammered?

Or could it just be a legacy tradition where manufactures couldn't make the teeth thin enough when the pricking irons were first made and therefore they had to only be used as a marking tool less the holes be too big?

it is not taboo to use a pricking iron to create holes.  At least not in thin leather.  Pricking irons are traditionally used to mark holes, but they will penetrate thin leather, especially if they are sharp.  

There are those here who believe the only "right" way to make holes in leather is with an awl.  I respect their choice, but that's what it is, a choice.  And there are some projects where an awl is actually the easier way to go, as in very thick projects, so everyone should have one and be confident in using it.  I use an awl, but I also use stitching chisels and they are my main "go to".  

Even Nigel Armitage, who has a successful youtube channel and subscription video tutorials has softened over the years and understood that stitching chisels have their place and for some projects are an excellent alternative.  He provides stellar reviews of something like 20 plus chisels and pricking irons.  Well worth watching before you invest.

Some of the so-called French style irons have teeth that are very thin and not tapered very much.  They can make a great stitching chisel.  

By the way, I asked that a thread be dedicated to discussions just like these.  You might find it helpful.  Nigel weighs in on the topic.

And in the end, find what WORKS FOR YOU and ignore me and anyone else that tries to convince you that you are wrong.  If you get the results, they speak for themselves.  

And here's a great video of where Nigel demonstrates a French style iron, the Crimson Hides one.  Lots to learn about thread sizing here as well.  

Pricking irons do traditionally just have very short blades maybe 5mm at max whilst stitching irons have much longer ones to reach right through the leather often two layers at once, a pricking iron just does what it says , makes a small prick maker to give the equal spacing for the awl to follow

3 hours ago, DoItYourself said:

Or could it just be a legacy tradition where manufactures couldn't make the teeth thin enough when the pricking irons were first made and therefore they had to only be used as a marking tool less the holes be too big?

Maybe not just a legacy. I bought a new Vergez Blanchard pricking iron a few months  ago that looked like a high school shop project. Stubby teeth with rough unfinished edges. Spent hours shaping, smoothing and polishing to make it useable. On the other hand, I am very happy with the Rocky Mountain European style pricking irons.