Davm

Tandy's Double Loop

I want a way to lace the edge of a knife sheath or holster and cover the edge.  The Tandy Double Loop- I don't like that stitch because tere is a single long section to the hole and all the lace material is bunched together outside of the edge- if that makes sense.  Is there some type of a stitch with lace that stays closer to the edge and covers it up better? Thanks.

here is some good info. you may be able to find these free in an e book somewhere. I downloaded them off Tandy a while back when they were free. in the "how to lace" book there is a Mexican basket weave that may suit your project.

https://tandyleather.com/products/lacing-stitching-for-leathercraft-book?_pos=2&_sid=041795035&_ss=r

or    https://tandyleather.com/products/how-to-lace-book?_pos=1&_sid=b3cce9f3b&_ss=r

Edited by chuck123wapati

Thanks I'm going to try the Bruce Grant methods, I think that is what I am looking for.  As I said the Tandy method leaves a lot of material really above the edge with the lace then protruding by itself to the holes- if that makes sense.

42 minutes ago, Davm said:

Thanks I'm going to try the Bruce Grant methods, I think that is what I am looking for.  As I said the Tandy method leaves a lot of material really above the edge with the lace then protruding by itself to the holes- if that makes sense.

i am glad you found your answer, some info ,those aren't Tandy methods. They are books on the subject sold by tandy. the Mexican basket weave is what the Bruce grant link shows or is very similar. the book "how to lace" has about 15 different lacing techniques. Good luck and post an awesome picture of your project.

Well, last night I tried method one and that's more of what I want, the entire edge pretty much covered with the lace. I used leather rather than rawhide.  I noticed the page was 296 so what book was it from and is the book worth buying?  The only book I have right now is a Tandy leather work manual which is about 1/2" thick, are there any more extensive leather work books covering more aspects?

And, thanks again.  One reason I like the rawhide is that the contrast is nice and rawhide is tough but with multiple wraps of leather lace- it seems it ought to last a long time.

2 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

From this book, the "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding." A classic, this is considered to be "the" book by "the" master of leather braiding.

Encyclopedia_of_Rawhide_and_Leather_Braiding.pdf 648.48 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks for the link! 

Not laced like you were looking for, but here's another method for covering an edge:

Well last night I tried the second method and I like it better in the respect that you start at one end and continue the the far end and are done and it covers both sides of the edge very well.  Thanks once again.