argentumleather

Wrapping handles - how do I line up the holes??

I wrapped something with leather the other day, and I thought I got the holes punched the same on both ends of the leather, but when I went to stitch them together, wrapping around a cylindrical keychain, they were misaligned by a millimeter, which looks awful amateur. See the attached image at the top of the keychain...

How can I make sure I punch the holes exactly so they line up when I wrap the leather around something and stitch them together?

If it helps diagnose, I'm using a diamond stitch leather chisel to punch the holes. I positioned the first prong off the end of the leather so the first stich was on the leather, but it didn't align and I don't know how to do better except just getting better at eyeballing. Any techniques that make sure they are aligned?

image0 (1).png

4 hours ago, argentumleather said:

I wrapped something with leather the other day, and I thought I got the holes punched the same on both ends of the leather, but when I went to stitch them together, wrapping around a cylindrical keychain, they were misaligned by a millimeter, which looks awful amateur. See the attached image at the top of the keychain...

How can I make sure I punch the holes exactly so they line up when I wrap the leather around something and stitch them together?

If it helps diagnose, I'm using a diamond stitch leather chisel to punch the holes. I positioned the first prong off the end of the leather so the first stich was on the leather, but it didn't align and I don't know how to do better except just getting better at eyeballing. Any techniques that make sure they are aligned?

image0 (1).png

I suspect you're unwittingly favouring one side slightly when tightening. Apart from that I always work from each end toward the middle when punching so any discrepancy is hidden in the middle.

If the leather is soft, as it appears it might be, use a little rubber cement and glue it to a piece of backer board or bag stiffener. Or even a manila file folder cardboard.
Use a pair of wing dividers to mark the exact same distance from each end. From the photo, it looks like it's actually punched off.

Try using a small round hole punch, or a round awl to make your holes. It looks like the diamond shaped holes are too big and allowing the cord to move to random locations in the hole when the cord is pulled tight.