Hags

7.5 in Ruger Super Redhawk 480

I seem to attract large pistols.  This young man bought this as a backup gun for a Montana hunting trip. I stressed that this will not be a "quick draw" holster. But, it will still be with him when he gets to the top of whatever tree he manages to climb. I have found that barrels this long, with prominent front sights, have a very distinct draw and re-holster. He loves it. I'm happy, and he wants a gun belt, and now a drop leg for this one.  I also made a 6 rd loop slider for the left side of the chest strap. Have to study on drop legs now.

20220608_162144.jpg

Very nice.

8 hours ago, Hags said:

I seem to attract large pistols.  This young man bought this as a backup gun for a Montana hunting trip. I stressed that this will not be a "quick draw" holster. But, it will still be with him when he gets to the top of whatever tree he manages to climb. I have found that barrels this long, with prominent front sights, have a very distinct draw and re-holster. He loves it. I'm happy, and he wants a gun belt, and now a drop leg for this one.  I also made a 6 rd loop slider for the left side of the chest strap. Have to study on drop legs now.

20220608_162144.jpg

Great looking rig, as always.  I see the cartridge holder on you left side.  Most of these I have seen are on the shoulder strap (so they sit on the chest).  But those rigs have a narrower strap.  I like the wider strap you used on the shoulder piece, but wonder if the cartridges will rub on the arm when walking, especially if the rig is worn outside of jackets, etc.  What are your thoughts?

I've done a couple like this now. Feedback has been positive. Putting anything on the shoulder strap can interfere with back pack straps so I quit putting them there. These cartridge holders slide off or around if needed. I use one of these rigs for my speed 6 and dont have an issue. 

That is one nice rig for sure. I know a lot of folk love cartridge loops on their gun stuff, my personal experience with loop holders has been that i lose shells during some of my more physically demanding hunting expeditions. the stock covers are the worst for losing shells. 

Straight up handsome and high quality...great looking field gear, right there! That color especially (saddle tan-ish) with contrasting white stitching...always a winning combination, IMO.

I agree completely about that wider shoulder strap...seems more comfortable and it looks like it would "mold/form" over time to fit the user (similar to a guitar strap).

Very Nice. 

Yeah I really like this!! Well done!

That's a handsome piece of work!  If he runs out of bullets that gun will make a good club.

Nice job on that very nice work and detail one thing I like is quick disconnects  when straps wrap around me because you just never know when you might need to get that thing off in a hurry I did a holster like for a ruger 44 mag with the disconnects came out pretty good  but might not be the look your looking for . but all that said very nice job 

Beautiful rig for sure Sir!

Thanks guys.  Good feedback. Not a big fan of the bullets on the side myself. But, we do what we are asked, and several customers have loved them. And they can be taken off the rig if he feels they are impractical or uncomfortable.  I am now working on a "drop leg" holster for the the same gun.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:33 PM, Hags said:

Thanks guys.  Good feedback. Not a big fan of the bullets on the side myself. But, we do what we are asked, and several customers have loved them. And they can be taken off the rig if he feels they are impractical or uncomfortable.  I am now working on a "drop leg" holster for the the same gun.

Just thought I would show you those disconnects not sure how good they show up in this pic.

IMG_4533.jpg

Yeah, I can see that would be a good option. Mine just disconnects on the left side and slides off the shoulder.  My belt seems to be a bit higher than yours as well. 

Great work.  

Personally, I like the chest rig style much more functional for the field than the “drop leg.”  Having been issued a drop leg as a boarding team member in the Navy, I find them floppy and hang-up on almost anything.  Chest rig keeps the handgun secure to the body & can even be protected under a rain poncho or jacket in a pinch. The chest rig goes well with a pack. I’m also not crazy about any exposed ammo loops either, but you made it so they can be removed and easily stashed in a pocket or pack - so that’s a win.  If I was taking that .480 Ruger as my “back-up” pistol, I’d be fine with one full reload. Not going to do much plinking with that one. 

Thank you and I agree with all the points you have made. I tell my customers that these are not going g to be a "speed draw" holster, but they will still have it when they get high enough in the tree to think about it! Especially with a gun with a 7.5" barrel. I think they like the looks of the reloads on the side, but I much prefer they get a speedloader.  I  can mount a pouch for this just as easy, and I feel they are much more secure. He wanted the drop leg due to his military background and his use of them then.