zzrguy

Needle and thread for my Singer 29-D-58

Ok I'm totally clueless with this needle and thread Speak for sewing. machine. I picked up a Singer Model 29-D-58 from a shoe store going out of business sad cause he was a small shop in Astoria Queen and been there over 40yrs. He just needed it gone. It in good shape for a machine that was made in Persia and traveled to the US over 40 yrs ago with its trendle.

So I have no clue what needles I need for this machine or what is the max and min size thread this machine can use. I read the needle and thread Thread and now I'm even more confused. 

I'm not afraid to spend move on something that works but might not be the best for my use so I have a reference point and can try going up or down in size of thread and needle. I just need a starting point.

Thank you all for any advise you can give me.

13 hours ago, zzrguy said:

Singer Model 29-D-58

That might be a 29k58, not a d58. This is a shoe and boot patcher (uppers only). I use my patchers to actually sew patches onto biker's vests. They are also good for repairing shoe straps, purse and bag strap tabs and replacing zippers in purses. The foot does all the work and rotates 360 degrees. There is no bottom feed and the foot leaves tooth marks on veg-tan leather.

The bobbins are tiny and hold no more than about 9.5 yards of #69 bonded thread. The maximum thickness it can sew and move is just over 1/4 inch. The longest stitch length is 5/inch at about 6-7 ounces, if it is in pristine mechanical condition. Most patchers coming out of shoe repair shops are well worn and may only get 8 or 10 to the inch. The most frequently used needle size is #18 (Metric 110). The needle "system" is either 29x3, 29x4, 135x16, or 135x17.

Because the bobbins are so small, there's no sense loading them with anything bigger than #92 bonded thread. This calls for a #19 (Metric 120) needle.

Wiz, no 29D58 could be correct - because some 29 models were made in Wittenberge, Germany prior 1945. But they are the the exact same as K models  made in Killbowie, Scottland. Usually the German made Singers serial numbers (prior 1945) start with a C.

The trendle works but has some broken parts.

20220526_104653 (1).jpg

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

That would be a 29k58, not a d58. This is a shoe and boot patcher (uppers only). I use my patchers to actually sew patches onto biker's vests. They are also good for repairing shoe straps, purse and bag strap tabs and replacing zippers in purses. The foot does all the work and rotates 360 degrees. There is no bottom feed and the foot leaves tooth marks on veg-tan leather.

The bobbins are tiny and hold no more than about 9.5 yards of #69 bonded thread. The maximum thickness it can sew and move is just over 1/4 inch. The longest stitch length is 5/inch at about 6-7 ounces, if it is in pristine mechanical condition. Most patchers coming out of shoe repair shops are well worn and may only get 8 or 10 to the inch. The most frequently used needle size is #18 (Metric 110). The needle "system" is either 29x3, 29x4, 135x16, or 135x17.

Because the bobbins are so small, there's no sense loading them with anything bigger than #92 bonded thread. This calls for a #19 (Metric 120) needle.

It is a 29-D-58 i'll post pictures of the tags when i get home. Thank you for the info on the thread and needles.

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Wiz, no 29D58 could be correct - because some 29 models were made in Wittenberge, Germany prior 1945. But they are the the exact same as K models  made in Killbowie, Scottland. Usually the German made Singers serial numbers (prior 1945) start with a C.

I have to check the serial number but the girl at singerparts.com said it was made in Persia. I do want to get more info in the machine I always love a good backstory.

1 hour ago, zzrguy said:

I have to check the serial number but the girl at singerparts.com said it was made in Persia. I do want to get more info in the machine I always love a good backstory.

Not Persia - I´m sure she said Prussia ;)

The German Singer factory back then was built in Prussia (Kingdom of) but K.o. Prussia is history since the German revolution in 1918 (to make it short but story continued). Nowadays it is located in the Federal State Brandenburg. Before loosing too many words this may be of interest for you:

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/wittenberge

Some of the factory buildings still exist and I have visited the location in 2019 and posted some pics in the below linked thread:

Edited by Constabulary

BTW - often the Singer "D" machines from Wittenberge, Germany have a decal instead of a brass badge. But the decals are often rubbed off. However the decal looks like this bras badge here and says "Fabrik Wittenberge".

IMG_7579_2.JPG

That make a little more sense. I didn't think singer had a factory in Iran. But the guy I got it from was from there and said he brought it with him when he moved here

I thought 29D shoepatchers were made in Germany correct  Constabulary?

glenn