just bought a singer 45k93, it has reverse but when you go into reverse the stitch length shortens by about 2/3 .Can anyone tell me what the problem might be. thanks Lloyd

Maybe it´s because of wear. Is your limiter screw present (see red circle)? First I would check if the screw that attaches the stitch length adjuster / reverse lever to the casting is tight. You reach the screw through a hole in the casting right under the top shaft / behind the hand wheel. You probably have to remove the hand wheel first.

Also, when you dialed in the longest stitch length is the feed dog touching the needle plate in reverse when you rotate the hand wheel?

Post some pictures of your machine please.

Bild1.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks for your reply Constabulary. I am a bit new to posting so not sure how to add photo, but if i did it would be a mirror of yours. The limiter screw is there and works for adjusting stitch length.  Does that mean the adjuster screw is tight? Thanks again for your help.

No - that's a different screw the screw I mean is internally. its a large slotted screw. The red arrow points where the hole is & and on 2nd pic where the screw is. You probably have to rotate the hand wheel to see it.

Not my machine its a pic from the www. This is mine I restored it in 2016. Different subclass but basically the same machine and it works perfect ever since.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/72789-singer-45d91-restoration/ 

Have you noticed the question above? When the machine is in reverse (lever all the way up in the slot) is the feed dog touching the needle plate in the longest stitch length when turning the hand wheel?

Bild1.jpg

5824527e9f9de_(3).thumb.JPG.2d32cfbd27287565269ac0b238c15341.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks Constabulary I'll have a look in the morning

My understanding of 45Ks fitted with reverse feed is that that secondary screw to the left of the stitch length adjuster (circled in red in @Constabulary's post) regulates the length of stitch in reverse. That is to say although it's a limiter it limits how far up the slot the stitch length adjuster can go when you make it sew backwards. The screw should be adjusted to match the length of forward stitch every time you change stitch length.

Bit clunky, though I guess simple for the factory to implement and fine for production work where it's a case of "set it and leave it set". About par for the course with Singer's mid-century industrial machines!

I assumed he has manual for the machine - if not see attachment.

The screw on the left (circle) is for limiting forward and reverse. There is a kind of "butterfly" on the lever and the limiter screw is the end stop for the "forward wing" and "reverse wing". The deeper in the screw the shorter the stitch in forward and reverse. If the screw (arrow) is loose the butterfly could be out of alignment.  See drawing - not sure if this is obvious enough (I´m no artist). When the screw is all the way in (stitch length zero) the feed dog should move just up and down but there should be no forward and reverse movement at all.

Very simple but very effective too and works very well. Bomb proof old Singer technology! Not the most technically advanced F & R system but simple and functional . So when the "wings" are in good shape and screws and nuts are tight this will work reliably for ever and cannot go out of adjustment (usually).

2nd thought is the clamp and set screw on the feed shaft are loose or they fixed the shaft in the wrong position. Therefore the question if the feed dog probably hits the needle plate.

But I only can guess....

IMG_7733.JPG

02_Singer_45K_manual.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

I had a play this morning, the screw you pointed out was tight. I backed out the limiter screw and reset the stitch length to near max. I then tightened the limiter screw, sewing about 5 to the inch when you go to rev it will sew into the same holes but only if you have it in an exact position on the slide. Its as if it needs a set of increments for the spring loaded button to go into. hope this makes sense Thanks again for your help