aslfkjaslfkjasflkj

Handwheel becomes stiff at needle's lowest point

Hi all.

Back again with the Juki 1541 with its issues.

When I rotate the hand wheel it is fine and smooth up until the needle gets to its lowest point. It then becomes very stiff and I have to use a significant amount more force to continue the rotation. I have felt the belt and although it does feel tighter at this point in the rotation it still moves if poked.

Here's a video showing the point where it becomes very stiff. https://i.imgur.com/SVInN6b.mp4

Is this normal?

My previous thread about the hook not stopping in the same place I believe is caused by this. If I set my needle positioner to stop at the point shown in the video, sometimes it will continue the rotation and kinda bounce back. I thought this was due to backlash in the gears however I now wonder if its due to the stiffness. It seems to need more force to get past the "stiff" point and then this is too much and it carries on the rotation when it should have stopped.

Any ideas?

Edited by aslfkjaslfkjasflkj

49 minutes ago, aslfkjaslfkjasflkj said:

Back again with the Juki 1541 with its issues.

I just tried my 1541S and handwheeled it through a couple of cycles. I found about the same amount of tension throughout the cycle with no noticeable tight spot like hat you are showing in the video. I would try to narrow it down by:

i) removing the needle and see if there is any difference.

ii) remove belt from handwheel and see if there is any difference.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I just tried my 1541S and handwheeled it through a couple of cycles. I found about the same amount of tension throughout the cycle with no noticeable tight spot like hat you are showing in the video. I would try to narrow it down by:

i) removing the needle and see if there is any difference.

ii) remove belt from handwheel and see if there is any difference.

kgg

I'll give those a go.

I did notice that if I decrease the pressure on both feet the stiffness becomes less. Still there but not as much.

Edit:

I think this is due to the pressure of the feet :head_hurts_kr:

Obviously due to the pressure being all the way down when it gets to the stage in the rotation the feed dog is pushing up against the presser feet which are pushing doing.

So now I need to tinker with pressure. When trying to correct the every elusive problem where the bobbin thread shows through at the top when I stop and then start sewing again, I increased the pressure all the way as I'd read this could help. Never touched it again since then. Still having that issue too.

At this point I don't know if I put this bobbin thread problem down to the fact that I'm sewing with ripstop lining and the tension has to be very high to pull through it.

Edited by aslfkjaslfkjasflkj

3 hours ago, aslfkjaslfkjasflkj said:

I did notice that if I decrease the pressure on both feet the stiffness becomes less. Still there but not as much.

The feed dog maybe set to high above the needle plate and when the presser feet come down they are striking the feed dog.

kgg