MtlBiker

"Hard" vs. "Soft" leather?

As you know, I'm still quite a beginner with leather working.  I came across a YouTube video and PDF pattern for a very simple little wallet, and I just made one as a practice project.  Cute and Easy Wallet for a Gift.  But I'm really not sure what leather the author was suggesting we use...

Nothing was mentioned in the video but the PDF pattern says to use 1.5mm "Hard" leather for two pieces and 1.5mm "Soft" leather for the third (interior).  I used a pre-dyed veg tan leather (about 4oz) for the "hard" pieces and a chrome tan black leather (just under 4oz) for the interior.

Is there a proper description of what "hard" and "soft" leather is?  I'm not sure what this little wallet should feel like, but I'm finding both exterior and interior pieces to be perhaps too soft.

Thanks for any comments.

IMG_0462.JPG

24 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

I used a pre-dyed veg tan leather (about 4oz) for the "hard" pieces and a chrome tan black leather (just under 4oz) for the interior.

That's how I would have interpreted it. Look good man!

Looks good to me. Well done.

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

Looks good to me. Well done.

Thanks!  But what does soft and hard leather mean to you?  I really don't think I used what the author had in mind.

To me; hard leather = a good stiff veg tan and soft leather is like chrome tan lining or upholstery grade leather

Just like wot you used

1 hour ago, fredk said:

To me; hard leather = a good stiff veg tan and soft leather is like chrome tan lining or upholstery grade leather

Just like wot you used

Thanks Fred.  I'm finding this little wallet to be too soft (at least for me) so maybe now that I've made one, I might use veg tan that *I* dye instead of the pre-dyed stuff I used.  I think that might be firmer.  And maybe a thinner (2oz) veg tan for the interior parts.  There is SO much to learn and it's so hard for a newbie to know what type of leather to use.  And simply saying "soft" or "hard" isn't all that much help.

I'm still at the stage where I follow along with a tutorial and when details are lacking it is a bit challenging.  As (when) I gain more experience I'll know better about what to use, where and for.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, fredk said:

Just like wot you used

What he said.

14 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Good link... Thank you!