Flatcapper

The original greased pig sewing machine!

Well I can actually say that today was an all around bad day. I zipped on over to the local freight yard to pick up my new cobra class 26 sewing machine. Just for the freight company to try and collect a extra $50 from me. Now the shipping from Leather Machine Company was supposed to be curbside delivery. However to speed up the process I decided to just pick up my order at the will-call dock. I told the clerk that if anything I was saving them time and money. They didn't get their extra $, and I left with my new machine. 

I arrived at home and went right to work assembling the base. This machine is mostly completely assembled. All you have to do is attach the wheels, thread stand, led-light, machine head, and drive belt. The stand is of high quality, and very compact compared to most tables hat come with similar machines. Now here is where things took a terrible turn for the worst. When my son and I went to mount the machine head onto the table it slipped out of his grip, and I tried to grab a hold so it wouldn't fall and these machines from Leather Machine Company are literally slicker then a greased pig. We were so close to getting it onto the table, however these machines are extremely heavy. Yep, it hit the cement floor, my finger, leg, then I went sprawling when my foot got tangled up with one of the locked wheels. Damage done? Busted one corner off the cast base, and when it bounced over my leg it hit the take up lever guard, breaking the take up lever shaft that connects to the take up lever cam. Luckily I wasn't more seriously injured then the smashed finger which partially broke the machine head's fall, and the scraps and nasty bruises. They tell you to clean the oil off the surface of the machine head once its mounted to the table using gasoline. I think a little warning that said machine may be extremely slippery, and should be wiped down before attempting to lift and mount the head to the base. This would be for safety of the customer, and the machine. I'm in no way blaming Leather Machine Co. at all. I'm just saying besides all those stickers plastered to the shipping pallet wrap about inspecting for freight damage, they could include a sticker that states "Caution, machine head is extremely heavy, and  has been vigorously oiled potentially making it unsafe to lift!".. 

I contacted the company after catching my breath, and accessing the damade. Heather and David at Leather Machine Co. were very understanding, and are sending me replacement parts free of charge! That's called service. I'm thinking this wasn't the first time someone dropped one of their machines. Ill just JB weld the corner tab, and replace the take up lever when it arrives. I'm very impressed with the quality of their product, and their helpfulness.

So please use caution while handling your greased pig!

(I know, yet again a lengthy post.)

Flatcapper,

Wow, what an ordeal. First, I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse. Smashed fingers are not good, you didn't break any bones in finger? Hope not.

Also, that was a lucky thing your machine didn't get more damage than it did. I was thinking same thing when reading your post, that JB weld might help in re-attaching that corner piece that broke off. I love JB Weld! I once repaired a leaking gas tank in my old Volkswagon Beetle with that stuff.

Good luck with your new baby! Pics please!

1 hour ago, Flatcapper said:

these machines from Leather Machine Company are literally slicker then a greased pig.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with assembling your new machine. Glad you and your son were not severely injured when the machine got away from you. All the industrial sewing machines can be a chore to install. I think the cylinder bed and patcher machines are the worst to install as they always want to fall forward, nose first until you get a couple of bolts into the rear of the base.

1 hour ago, Flatcapper said:

They tell you to clean the oil off the surface of the machine head once its mounted to the table using gasoline.

The problem is getting machines usually from the floor to the surface of the table and mounted. They are heavy and clumsy at the best of times. I am surprised the machine had that much oil / grease / etc on the surface of the casing to pose a problem. This is a cautionary tale for other buyers of industrial sewing machines and they should wipe the machine down before attempting to lift the machine into place. Maybe before they are shipped, they should be cleaned during the pre delivery process????

kgg

I winced when I read this - I feel bad for your machine, but I'm very glad there were no serious injuries.

I hope you won't take this as "hind sight", but maybe the following description of machine lifting might help others in the future - I'm sure it isn't an original idea, btw.  I'm not a large or very strong individual, but I've dealt with various kinds of machinery (including sewing machines), my whole life, and so had to learn ways of safely lifting and moving heavy (sometimes VERY heavy) objects.

What we (My wife and I) do with any sewing machine too heavy for one person to easily lift, is what I've come to call the "cannibal" method - We hold a length of metal pipe ( I use a piece of aluminum pipe, but a piece of 1" EMT, etc. would work), maybe 6' long or so, over the machine arm, and wrap strong rope or nylon strap (ratchet strap is fine) over and around the pipe and under the machine arm, several times, spreading the wraps out so the machine is balanced - Secure the wraps, squat down, get your shoulders under the pipe, and lift away.

We've easily and safely lifted sewing machines, one even weighing north of 200 lbs, like this, carried them up/down stairs, off trailers, etc. , and moved them quite a distance sometimes.  Anyway, I hope this might help someone avoid problems.

Edited by trash treasure

tt, that is a brilliant idea! Wish I'd thought of it when moving my 4500 (I just managed to lift the head!!!).

Flatcapper, scary stuff, glad the damage isn't worse and consider yourself fortunate you weren't badly injured.

13 hours ago, trash treasure said:

What we (My wife and I) do with any sewing machine too heavy for one person to easily lift, is what I've come to call the "cannibal" method

Love that it is so effective and simple.

kgg

Sorry to hear.. been there myself.. not pretty.. manhandling a Techsew 180 (its equivalent in my part of the world)..took 2 of us to move it into the vehicle.. but being alone at the delivery end - ended up backing up the vehicle under a house deck and stropping to the railing and pendulum'ed the head to a mobile table.

I use a motorcycle scissor jack to move stuff around.. but it only lowers to ~350mm to the ground - so lever stuff on blocks to that height and shuffle the gear on. On the shopping list is of course an engine lifter to avoid these shenanigans.  fyi ..I'm alone.

There are other solutions - has been discussed at length here before...but a trade off with size (getting stuff though house doorways) and price .. things like pallet jacks with vertical lift arrangements like a forkhoist  - again price considerations.

IMG_20220618_114400715~2.jpg

IMG_20220618_114522826~2.jpg

Edited by gordond

It took 3 of us to off load my machine from the couriers  ute,( pick up )  including  the courier. It was in a huge  wood crate. I didn''t fully realise how heavy the machine was .  After unpacking ,assembly  etc. it took  two of us, myself & my Father to lift the head into position . I gave it a wipe down as it was very oily.  I also chose very carefully where it was going to sit in the workshop because once it was all set up,...... it 'ain't moving no more  !! 

I do hope you're OK  and all the best.

HS

I used my tractor to lift mine. Strap around the machine and bucket. I had to put the stand in the shop and lift the Techsew 5100 thru the double doors.  Those suckers are heavy. Once connected I wheeled it into place.  

I’m sure not everyone has a tractor and shop but I could not have done it any other way by myself..  

Heurfaces. Then just weklllo everyone and thanks for the support and advice. I just wound up with a few bruises and the smashed finger. I think my finger broke the machine heads fall! We had wiped the head down some when we removed the plastic bag after getting the foam pack ing out of the box. I guess they want the head to be well oiled to keep it from rusting

I'd like to thank the Leather Machine Company for being so understanding, and sending me the take up lever that got broken in the fall. As for the cast metal corner that got broke off, I just cleaned everything with alcohol, then sanded the powder coating back from the broken surfaces, then mixed well a generous helping of JB weld. I then coated all mating surfaces, pushed them tightly together, added some extra JB weld along the broken crack to give some extra bonding surface area. Then once you make sure the parts are as tightly together as possible, leave it alone for 24 hrs. Next just drill out the hole and bolt it down as intended. JB weld is amazing epoxy. I once glued a broken engine block together and the engine worked flawless for all the years I had the car. Just have to make sure you get all parts cleaned.

The Leather Machine Company sent me the replacement part, as well as the missing thread guide pin, as well as some touch up paint, free of charge. I've got the class 26 all repaired and working flawless. Now to sell off the two other cylinder arm machines....