Shenandoah

Using Edge Kote on leather

I am thinking about using Edge Kote on a set of spur straps I am making.  Not sure whether to trust using it or just use black Fiebing dye so I can seal it.  Any suggestions.

I always thought edge kote was a kind of sealer.  It's not?

No it is a thick black (dye?) used on the edge of a leather project to give it a nice finish.  I am worried about it chipping and whether I can seal it with Rosolene or if I do use it, do I just leave the finish on it alone.  I have worked on leather for three years now and have never used it.   I do cowboy action shooting and have made gun rigs and other items geared towards the sport.

I

Edited by Shenandoah

Be too stiff, wont bend. 

Thanks for the information.  As soon as read your post, I immediately said you are right.  Went straight to my piece and put Black Pro Dye on the edge.  Will hit it with a sealer tomorrow.  One part down, three pieces to go.  Waiting on a new set of Jeremiah Watt spurs for a final fitting before I finish things up.  These spur straps are for myself and so far they are looking pretty nice.  again thanks for your comment.

Shenandoah

Dye the edge and rub in plenty of bees wax

I use it on edge. I thought you meant on the surfaces. It is rugged on edges, very stiff. Nasty if it gets on the wrong place. 

Edge Kote is a product from Fiebing which is a combined colour and sealer for edges. I guess you can also use it to seal unfinished backs.

I think it's a rather archaeic formulation of edge paint (in a bad way). I've never been happy with the results of Edge Kote, and I don't think it's up to the standard of modern edge paints from the likes of Norsol, Giardini or Fenice for instance. Modern edge paints can be very durable, bind well with the leather and previous layers of paint, are easy to apply, have a high "fill", are available in a variety of colours and finish effects and can be quick to dry. I associate none of these attributes with Edge Kote.

I find that Edge Kote has all the "bad" characteristics which are often attributed to all edge paints, many of which don't apply to modern edge paints when properly applied. If this is what "accessible" edge paints were like "back in the day" no wonder so many craftspeople took against them.