MikeF

Setting Rivets...need more throat depth

I set rivets by hand with hammer...not by choice but by economic imperative...but I need some kind of solution for setting rivets in 4 to 6 inches. My little hobby anvil only gives about 2 inches or so throat depth.  Looking for any solution, specialty anvil or press/setter that will give me 6 inches or so throat depth.  Wishful or practical?

To clarify...this is for small utility cases with one end already closed, so throat depth is an issue.

9 minutes ago, MikeF said:

I set rivets by hand with hammer...not by choice but by economic imperative...but I need some kind of solution for setting rivets in 4 to 6 inches. My little hobby anvil only gives about 2 inches or so throat depth.  Looking for any solution, specialty anvil or press/setter that will give me 6 inches or so throat depth.  Wishful or practical?

To clarify...this is for small utility cases with one end already closed, so throat depth is an issue.

a piece of 1/2" thick flat bar C clamped to a  good stout table.

22 minutes ago, MikeF said:

.not by choice but by economic imperative.

I like that.  Mind if i borrow it?  :)    i was trying to understand your description.  Can you provide a picture?

36 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

a piece of 1/2" thick flat bar C clamped to a  good stout table.

:17:

If you can find an old cobbler's last . . . it'll take all the pounding you want to give it I would think'

May God bless,

Dwight

Jay...I run into this in a couple of different ways on cases I make...I suppose as many cases as there are, that's how many challenges can come up getting a rivet set sometimes.  I don't have any parts cut right now but I tried to show it in the following photos ...this is the simplest of utility "holders" I run into this issue on...I call it a crucifix case...just  two pieces of strap riveted  together...I marked where I would put rivets, inside and out, and tried to show the "throat depth" issue for you ("a" is what I need; "b" is the max you can get before the interference between case and anvil...basically the top of the case hits the base of the anvil before you can effectively rest the impact area on the flat face of the anvil...you can get a little more throat depth using the horn end of the anvil, "c"...but not enough for all the cases I make and besides...its like trying to set a rivet on a rolling pin...more bent rivet removals and ugliness that goes with that than its worth. 

As for the cantilevered flat bar...probably best idea...I would need to reinforce a table for that and I was hoping for a more modern "slicker" setter...I've seen some hand presses that might work if I raise the base but those are spendy...also saw some hand setters used for pop rivets that would be slick if you could find some variety in the dies you could use, so you could use different rivets but I don't see that yet...I've thought about just using the pop rivets backed with washers...did that decades ago...we used to get this green colored veg tan in the military and at sea, because our resources were pretty limited (and so was our money---tough economic decisions in those days--beer in a foreign port or fancy rivets and burrs for our leather stuff)..anyway, I used to use pop rivets at sea to make weight lifting belts for the guys.

Anyway...thanks for all the comments and thoughts...still looking, but may have to break out the buzz box and get dirty with the angle iron and flat bar.  I do want to look at that cobbler's last idea a little closer though...thanks again

cruciCase.jpg

anvil.jpg