I’m pretty sure some will think this is a stupid simple question, but, I’ve run out of ideas.  I want to carve letters and the only way I can think of to get consistent style, size and spacing is to print them out from a computer and then transfer them, does everyone do it that way?  Is there a better way or stencils available?

I've printed them to use as a pattern, and that works great.   I've also used art stencils for letters, which also works great!  Both guitar straps below were from a plastic stencil found at an art supply store.gallery_52894_2278_116884.jpg

gallery_52894_2278_1936080.jpg

- Bill

37 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I've printed them to use as a pattern, and that works great.   I've also used art stencils for letters, which also works great!  Both guitar straps below were from a plastic stencil found at an art supply store.gallery_52894_2278_116884.jpg

gallery_52894_2278_1936080.jpg

- Bill

I WISH THERE WAS A LIKE BUTTON!  I’m going to have to look harder for some stencils

@Tequila I'm pretty sure I have some cardboard letters in my workshop. They would normally be used for stenciling or some other craft . They're in  sets & different sizes, and one set has a ' western' look about them . I got them at a haberdashery/ craft   shop. I also have a  leather book on making letters too somewhere.  And although a bit time consuming, you could print them out onto something other than paper . 

And,  no, its not a stupid question  :) 

HS

@Handstitched thanks, I’m always leery about asking questions, unfortunately too many people now a days will blast someone for asking what they consider a rookie question. And the western look letters are what I’m trying to find for a custom rifle butt cover. 

@tsunkasapa thanks for the link, I didn’t know there was a book like that. 

Tequila

I downloaded fonts from the net, then trace them. I also have several different sizes and styles of letter stamps. I've freehanded letters sometimes, too. It's not that hard.

There are also Tandy alphabet Craftaids out there, though I'm not sure if they are still being produced:

$_35.jpg

One of the nice parts of using a computer for your letter template is that you can usually have a huge choice of fonts and they can be easily resized to exactly the size needed.   Microsoft word, for example has dozens of different fonts to choose from and you can add others.  Choose one, type what you want, and it's all there spaced out for you.  Just resize it to suit what you intend to do and print it.   If you tape your paper printout to a thin sheet of plastic you can easily trace onto the cased leather without the paper stretching and disintegrating as you trace.   I was lucky to find a plastic template that was just about the font and size that I wanted for guitar straps and a few other things, but there is a limited selection available.

- Bill

Thanks everyone for all the good input

16 hours ago, Tequila said:

Thanks everyone for all the good input

Heres a little bit more: 

These are those letters  I found in a craft shop. And the book was put out by Tandy . The number of the book is # 1936

HS

Letters for Carving 001.jpg

Letters for Carving 002.jpg