Squilchuck

Ignore lists in this forum

I've read a few messages recently about increasing ignored-member lists. I have about 10 on my list. Anyone else think this indicates a problem with the forum? If you are like me, my ignored members are all regular political commentators in this forum. I'd probably enjoy hearing about leather from my ignored members, but I don't have time to sort through messages. Why have an off topic forum in a web site devoted to leather?   John

While I haven't put anyone on my ignored member list (yet, never say never) I respect your right to do so and for the forum making that option available.  Should there really be a need for it is another matter.

In general, people should err on the side of kindness and if they are exorcised about a particular topic, they should probably just move along.  I know I have been guilty of engaging with people and it usually doesn't end pretty.  I working harder to determine when to say when.  

The biggest problem seems to be gratuitous comments that are included with otherwise reasonable posts.  I've tried to exercise restraint when tempted to follow suit.  

I am active on several non-leather forums and trust me, the issue is there too.  Just a reflection of our times.  

Nothing is ever going to be perfect so I just try to separate the wheat from the chaff and keep as positive as possible.

Kindness is never a wrong response.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

I working harder to determine when to say when.  

@Squilchuck has a good point. The people he is referring to, and we all know who they are, have decimated what was once a wonderful site for leatherworkers to share their work and their knowledge, and in my view have ruined this site. It now seems to attract the angry and ignorant.  Many very talented members have not posted here in years because of the responses from said members. It is worthy of note that the most members online date is January 7, 2021.

A few years ago, there were constantly well over 350 member views, daily. Lately, the number has dropped steadily. I am not a terribly active contributor, but I do scan the threads daily. It seems to me some of the responses are terse, short and have lost the helpfulness they used to have. I feel I am losing a good friend with helpful insight to a lot of common problems. The naysayers and political wonks seem to be winning and ruining the entire culture. My 2 pennies.

jr

Edited by JREESER1

1 hour ago, LatigoAmigo said:

@Squilchuck has a good point. The people he is referring to, and we all know who they are, have decimated what was once a wonderful site for leatherworkers to share their work and their knowledge, and in my view have ruined this site. It now seems to attract the angry and ignorant.  Many very talented members have not posted here in years because of the responses from said members. It is worthy of note that the most members online date is January 7, 2021.

Not disagreeing at all.  Same on other forums I frequent, including one on vintage bicycles.  Many of the "oldtimers" and "longtimers" have pedaled off.

It is a shame.  I suppose if enough complaints are made, the moderators will take action.  Other than leaving I guess that's the best recourse.

23 minutes ago, JREESER1 said:

A few years ago, there were constantly well over 350 member views, daily. Lately, the number has dropped steadily. I am not a terribly active contributor, but I do scan the threads daily. It seems to me some of the responses are terse, short and have lost the helpfulness they used to have. I feel I am losing a good friend with helpful insight to a lot of common problems. The naysayers and political wonks seem to be winning and ruining the entire culture. My 2 pennies.

jr

I can tell you from experience why many don't give detailed explanations.  It is because sometimes when you do, people quibble with every little thing you have said.  Even if you are 95% correct, it is the 5% they go after.  And so the next time you want to contribute, you think twice.  And in the end, just saying "burnish" is easier than describing the whole process.

my two cents. 

1. Its social media to go on any site and block people for expressing their thoughts or ideas is light years beyond stupid. Blocking them because they are personally attacking you is another thing altogether. I personally have blocked two people in my entire life, one on FB years ago and one on this site. I absolutely believe that every citizen has the right to speak freely and express their selves no matter the platform until they become personally abusive. I also believe every person has the right to move on, not listen or ignore that is also a personal choice.  I'm Not part of the cancel culture and i never will be. I feel those who are to uninspired of personal knowledge to see more to life than their own little tunnel of thought are pretty ignorant of the world around them but they have no right to intentionally try to cancel those that are inspired to see hear new or old thoughts, and form their own opinions and make personal comments to that knowledge.

2.The best part of how the moderators set this site up is adding an off topic and adult section.. I think everyone here can see that the off topic section has kept a lot of todays problems off the regular leather thread forum which is a good thing IMO. Plus I don't care to see someone's wife or boy friend in a leather thong so  putting that in its own little place is also a good thing. 

But the bottom line is and always should be free thought on social media IMO. Post a pic of your BF in a thong. Post how you like BLM, drugs, church or any topic you desire I don't care  I'll read it or not...…l. But i wont take my animosity or dislike of it to the leather work side of the forum I'm better than that.

15 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I can tell you from experience why many don't give detailed explanations.  It is because sometimes when you do, people quibble with every little thing you have said.  Even if you are 95% correct, it is the 5% they go after.  And so the next time you want to contribute, you think twice.  And in the end, just saying "burnish" is easier than describing the whole process.

:17: 

18 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Not disagreeing at all.  Same on other forums I frequent, including one on vintage bicycles.  Many of the "oldtimers" and "longtimers" have pedaled off.

It is a shame.  I suppose if enough complaints are made, the moderators will take action.  Other than leaving I guess that's the best recourse.

It could be that social media is losing it attraction all the way around. I've quit posting on all except this one. 

I don't respond to many posts because I'm a simple end of the kitchen table crafter and most of the threads are about machines and hardware I can't even hope to own.  Unfortunately the few members who post in my interest area have gotten too political of late and while I have not officialy ignored anyone I do avoid their threads if there is a hint of politics.  I think ignore buttons are too aggresive for what may be heat of the moment posts, we all need to take a deep breath and calm down.

Any other forums I've been on have eventually either banned ALL politics-related posts, or had to appoint moderators to keep the conversation civil. Some of the personal insults I've read in the OT forum recently are really over the top. Yup, and a few were directed at me.

It should be a rule that it's okay to tell someone you disagree with them, but calling them names because of it IS NOT. 

Either that, or get rid of the OT forum completely. It's almost totally dominated by a few people with very conservative viewpoints, and most of them don't tolerate any other viewpoint, and bully  and insult anyone with an opinion different from their own until they leave.

Why do I bother with the forum? Well, I hate to see the discussion so completely dominated by people who are just patting each other on the back and agreeing with each other. There ARE other voices out there that you should listen to, even if you don't agree. 

TOLERANCE, people, it's called tolerance. That's what makes a civil society work.

Edit: I have put a few people on 'ignore' but have found the same problem as Squilchuk. When they are posting about leather rather than politics, I would still like to read some of their posts.   :dunno:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I am curious why this isn't moved to off topic? It isn't a conversation about leather work. And may be pulling negativity into the regular forum.  which all of us agree shouldn't happen right?

this is an interesting story on what we are talking about right now.https://trendingpolitics.com/boom-glenn-greenwald-exposes-why-social-media-companies-are-so-intent-on-censorship-wiley/?utm_source=economics 

Agree with Chuck that this probably should go in another forum, either the Administration forum or the Feedback forum. 

• sorry  is this the complaint part of the forum dang got it wrong again

20200705151010_IMG_6419-768x823.jpg

37 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I am curious why this isn't moved to off topic? It isn't a conversation about leather work. And may be pulling negativity into the regular forum.  which all of us agree shouldn't happen right?

this is an interesting story on what we are talking about right now.https://trendingpolitics.com/boom-glenn-greenwald-exposes-why-social-media-companies-are-so-intent-on-censorship-wiley/?utm_source=economics 

Chuck Me thinks you be right about that this should be in off topic for sure.

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

It should be a rule that it's okay to tell someone you disagree with them, but calling them names because of it IS NOT. E

i agree, this used to be called human decency but social media has made it something to be monitored by someone. Why? Have we changed that much since this invention came about?

I'll tell all you good honest folks a secret that you wont ever see on TV. Talking to people this way in a correctional facility may not only get you killed but it will get you either fired or put in solitary confinement depending on which side of the fence you are on. Why because we teach our criminals to be polite and professional !! TRUE FACT!! While we teach our children, by example, they can anything they want to anyone they want. Some world isn't it.

Agree with Chuck! (Gee, that's TWICE in a row now - will wonders never cease! :yeah:)

In street gangs, dissing someone - even in a much less disrespectful way than has been done on certain threads in OT - WILL get you killed!

On 6/15/2022 at 9:38 PM, Doc Reaper said:

I agree with you, these foreign Libtards know so much about our laws, I’ll bet because she is soooooo hagged out the dog doesn’t want to like the peanut butter from the nasty crevice it’s put in!

Another member replied: And that is a prime example of why Doc was one of the first I gave the 'Ignore' button to. Simply not worth wasting time on.

Nice adult discourse, huh? :o That comment would have gotten Doc BANNED from a lot of the forums I've been on. It certainly would have been deleted. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

When I grew up in the 50's there was a commonly used slang term, some very derogetory, for every religion, race, gender and national origin.  Since commuication was mostly face to face they were used with a smile and as a rule not maliciously.  Now that true identities can be easily hidden and much interaction is virtual it seems anything goes.

Edited by Squid61

Squid, the 50's was a LOOONG time ago, and as I'm sure you know, a lot of stuff that was okay then isn't okay now. And I believe we're better off for it!

Derogatory racist and sexist remarks are (or should be) a thing of the past. (Not that I'm seeing those in OT. It's more things like Libertard, DemoRat, etc.) And they sure aren't saying them with a smile!

Ok I'm done.

12 minutes ago, Squid61 said:

When I grew up in the 50's there was a commonly used slang term, some very derogetory, for every religion, race, gender and national origin.  Since commuication was mostly face to face they were used with a smile and as a rule not maliciously.  Now that true identities can be easily hidden and much interaction is virtual it seems anything goes.

i agree but even now if you talk face to face what you say could get you slapped up side the head so you word your comments with that in mind.. On social media  you don't know if you are even talking to a person so your inhibitions are gone. Social media was supposed to be a good thing but it has its down sides and if its a good thing for society as a whole is becoming highly debatable . And IMO why many are leaving it to much drama to much hate to much division is being intentionally brought in to by those with agendas. The human brain has been so studied on how it reacts to stimulus that now algorithms on social media can and are used for nefarious reasons.

afair, and I may be wrong, the political chat was supposed to be in a hidden section, just like the 'life style' leather section, and you were supposed to ask to be allowed into that section. However, it appears it didn't go that way. The 'permissions' doesn't seem to work properly. I've never asked to be allowed in to the 'life style' leather section but I see everything anyone posts in there

I felt similar a few months back and posted that the political stuff bothered me. I got good advice- follow what interests you, leave the other alone. Since then some discussions have drawn me in and I appreciated the chance to discuss some topics important to me. When the discussion gets stale I look at something else. I do have to skip out when people attack or cuss me personally. I cuss lots of things, not people. Nothing is more futile than an online argument with someone you will never meet, or may not even exist. I have been on a lot of online forums and they all have an off topic or adult area to look at or leave alone. Your choice. My wife does not like violent movies, so we don’t watch them. Our choice to avoid that channel. This forum is by far the most civil and sensible one I have ever looked at. The best way to avoid disputes is distance from the disputer. If a post angers you, it’s also good to wait till tomorrow to reply. Most things look a lot better the next day.

Edited by 327fed

I think if a topic starts one place and gets moved it is still visible, but some stuff does not seem to follow that logic. 

I refuse to discuss this topic in this forum