DwightT

Returning to leather work

Hello all and Greetings from Meridian Idaho.

I'm not completely new to leather work - I used to do a fair amount of leather tooling (mostly belts, wallets, and purses for friends and family), but until recently it had been something like 30 years since I last swung a mallet.  However even back then I wouldn't consider myself to be any type of expert.  Now that I've retired I've decided to get back into it again.  So far I've really only done a practice round to get used to the idea of tooling, and made myself a wallet from a Tandy kit.  I'm not completely happy with the wallet (it's a bit thicker than I would have liked and next time I'll use a different style of letters), but it will do the job for now.

One of the things that I want to work on is leather cases.  I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders to stand flag lines at the funerals of veterans and I'm thinking about making a leather flag case.  I have Volume 1 of the Stohlman book on cases, and I'm thinking of a case based on the fishing rod case in that book.  However I'll probably start with the Dice Cup described in the book just for the practice.

I look forward to getting (and maybe eventually offering) advice and feedback on hopefully many leather projects.

/dwight

PracticeRound.jpg

FirstWallet.jpg

DwightT Welcome to the forum, looks like you have a good handle on tooling.

Thank you for your PGR riding, I rode with the PGR for 16 years and just recently stopped due to health reasons, I miss it.

Dwight,

Welcome back to Leather and Welcome to the forum. Beautiful work you did there, thanks for showing us! :)

Welcome to the forum . . . good looking work you do.

And as stated . . . thank you for your PGR affiliation . . . it's good work.

Also . . . for a moment I tried to figure out when I posted this . . . so I came to look at it . . . 

Turns out there are two of us on here . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

Also . . . for a moment I tried to figure out when I posted this . . . so I came to look at it . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah, when I was signing up I tried for the username 'Dwight'.  The site told me I couldn't have it.  There aren't a whole lot of us out there.  :)

/dwight

Just for grins, here are some of the things that I did back before my hiatus.  Maybe I'll be able to get back to this kind of stuff again.

BriefcasePanel.thumb.jpg.54e2c32aa42009f1039d24cb0675d7c6.jpg

This was the panel on a briefcase that I used for many years.  The briefcase eventually fell apart, but I liked the panel (even though it got fairly well stained over the years), so I kept it.  Maybe I'll figure out something else to do with it some day.

WallClock.thumb.jpg.94a54492d907fb40c055e08af64b5a43.jpg

This is the clock that's in my office.  I did several of these back then for family and friends, and I still see some of them being used today.

PictureFrame.thumb.jpg.7946068f60f33f1561ad4b95a2769b1a.jpg

This was a photo frame for an old-time photo my first wife and I did when we were first married.  I lost her to cancer in 2010, but I'll keep this photo forever.

Edited by DwightT
Hit submit too soon

Nice work!

And when I saw this topic header, my first reaction was: "Wait- Dwight QUIT leatherwork for awhile? WHEN??"  :rofl:

I have at least one item I done a number of years ago on a piece of leather I had bought almost 50 years ago.

I pull it out every once in awhile so I can see what I could do before all the Arthritis and other problems with being almost ninety years young.

Nice work.

Ferg

18 hours ago, Ferg said:

... being almost ninety years young.

Nice work.

Ferg

YOU are AMAZING!

Welcome to the Forum...never hurts to have 2 Dwights on here.  Especially when they turn out such nice items.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:01 AM, DwightT said:

Just for grins, here are some of the things that I did back before my hiatus.  Maybe I'll be able to get back to this kind of stuff again.

BriefcasePanel.thumb.jpg.54e2c32aa42009f1039d24cb0675d7c6.jpg

This was the panel on a briefcase that I used for many years.  The briefcase eventually fell apart, but I liked the panel (even though it got fairly well stained over the years), so I kept it.  Maybe I'll figure out something else to do with it some day.

WallClock.thumb.jpg.94a54492d907fb40c055e08af64b5a43.jpg

This is the clock that's in my office.  I did several of these back then for family and friends, and I still see some of them being used today.

PictureFrame.thumb.jpg.7946068f60f33f1561ad4b95a2769b1a.jpg

This was a photo frame for an old-time photo my first wife and I did when we were first married.  I lost her to cancer in 2010, but I'll keep this photo forever.

Sorry for your loss.  Beautiful work, beautiful couple.

On 6/18/2022 at 5:07 AM, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

Me too, I thought, "I didn't know Dwight ever left!"

You know...a rod/flag case is just a really long dice cup!