RockyAussie

Best beginner sewing machine for making leather goods.

This is my latest video which shows the best sewing machine I could recommend to any beginner wanting to make leather goods. It is capable of fully sewing most products we make at Wild Harry. I hope that this helps anyone starting off wanting to make high end products like we do. Check it out to see the machine and some of the products being made.

Hi Brian. Just looked at the Hightex site and there's no mention of the 246 or any model with that kind of reverse lever. Is it a US thing? Where can one buy a 246 in the UK?

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Hi Brian. Just looked at the Hightex site and there's no mention of the 246 or any model with that kind of reverse lever. Is it a US thing? Where can one buy a 246 in the UK?

It is a copy of the Juki 246 if you search that maybe. I have to admit I have been pushing hard for a couple of years to get the dealer here to get me one in. Probably will not show up on the Hightex site for some time yet. There is a couple on order to Australia at the moment and maybe some more if this video can stir them up.

7 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

This is my latest video

Nice video, excellent work.

kgg

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

It is a copy of the Juki 246 if you search that maybe. I have to admit I have been pushing hard for a couple of years to get the dealer here to get me one in. Probably will not show up on the Hightex site for some time yet. There is a couple on order to Australia at the moment and maybe some more if this video can stir them up.

Brian, Great informational video you posted here! I'd for sure consider purchasing the Hightex/Cowboy 246 if it became available as a new machine in the USA. I really don't think I'd ever need more than a 135 or 210 weight thread in top. If you don't mind me asking Brian, what's the heaviest weight thread you can use in your machine? Thank you!!!

I got a bit sea-sick at times with the camera movement!:blink: Seriously though a very informative video, stitching those handles was interesting. I notice you don't need to hold the thread when starting the stitches?

I'm waiting for someone to ask if it will sew holsters.:lol:

On 6/20/2022 at 1:43 AM, dikman said:

I'm waiting for someone to ask if it will sew holsters.:lol:

Will it? With 207 thread - maybe? :huh:

Not defending Adler (really not) but the needle <-> edge of throat plate distance is a question of what throat plate and feed dog you have installed. Adler and Pfaff offered a wide range of throat plates and feed dogs - nowadays availability of these parts is the question or how the machine is set up and what subclass.

BTW - since you have the DCS-246 and the Adler 69 - have you tried if the feed dogs and needle plates are interchangeable? Would not surprise me.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:51 AM, suzelle said:

Brian, Great informational video you posted here! I'd for sure consider purchasing the Hightex/Cowboy 246 if it became available as a new machine in the USA. I really don't think I'd ever need more than a 135 or 210 weight thread in top. If you don't mind me asking Brian, what's the heaviest weight thread you can use in your machine? Thank you!!!

@suzelle The recommended needle range is 18 to 23/160 which means that the thickest thread should be 138 (20m). This is limited because ...1.to have the hook not have to be changed left or right  between the thread ranges 2. the needle hole in the feed dog starts to get small if wanting to go to a larger needle. I have done a trial with 207 thread in a 23 needle with tension high on top and low on the bottom and can get reasonable result but not perfect in my opinion. A size 24 or 25 needle would be better but then I would need to slide the hook carriage back a touch and drill out the needle hole. This means the hole would then be undesirably large when wanting to do fine thin or soft stuff. If you had a spare feed dog then it would take maybe about 5 minutes to change it over. Pretty simple. Whether you needed to move the hook back closer for the thin needle stuff I don't know:dunno:. If you know what your doing that would take another 5 minutes.  If I get time over the next couple of weeks I will load up a video showing it stitching to maximum thickness (10mm) and at maximum thread as is.

17 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Will it? With 207 thread - maybe? :huh:

If 10mm or less but conditional as above.

17 hours ago, Constabulary said:

BTW - since you have the DCS-246 and the Adler 69 - have you tried if the feed dogs and needle plates are interchangeable? Would not surprise me.

No. If you check the video you will see where I show that the 69 Adler has the typical binder type feed that it only moves on the one level back and forward. The tang out the front side would make it not possible.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:10 PM, RockyAussie said:

@suzelle The recommended needle range is 18 to 23/160 which means that the thickest thread should be 138 (20m). ..

Brian, thanks for answering! I appreciate the time you took to explain what the machine is capable of. I really appreciate you expertise.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, dikman said:

I notice you don't need to hold the thread when starting the stitches?

Sorry mate I just caught that one, I generally do if I don't have a camera in my other hand but I do make a practice all the same of starting off with a bit of scrap or the previous article in place which then makes it possible to not have to hold it normally.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, dikman said:

got a bit sea-sick at times with the camera movement

You should see the video where I am trying to show how to do the threading with a camera in one hand - :crazy::rofl::whistle: