starbuck

adler 220-50-73

I am looking at a adler 220-50-73 and have read that they are not a good machine for leather. Can someone tell me why ,and if they could be modified so they were a machine that could sew leather. Thanks 

basically it depends on the work you want this machine for / what kind of leather good you want to sew / produce.

Meaning the question should be what is the right machine for what I want to sew (the right machine for the job)

Edited by Constabulary

say 10mm veg tan

sewing some pieces of 10mm thick leather together and producing a certain leather good are two different things. ;)

The 220 series usually have 20mm foot lift so 10mm should be no problem.

I´d recommend to test the machine before buying. If the motor is too fast you probably want a new servo motor and maybe a speed reducer in addition.

Thanks Constabulary I sew a few different materials so the 10mm (2 @ 5mm ). for harness work,  just to give an idea if it would do it. I was just wondering why someone would say they were no good for sewing leather. From your reply maybe they need to be slowed down .

I'm sure it can sew leather - It looks like it's a compound feed.  It's just that most people wouldn't need a long arm machine like that to sew most leather goods.

If you do need it to reach the middle of large pieces, then it might be just the thing :~)

Eleven years ago I bought a used/rebuilt long arm Singer walking foot machine. It is used on a weekly basis to sew patches onto the backs of biker's vests and jackets. The extra clearance lets us keep the back flat and just fold up the fronts as we twist and turn. The same work on our standard length walking foot machines is tedious. There just isn't enough clearance for large or bulky items to be rolled up out of the way.

Thanks for the feed back