Sign in to follow this  
lilmissmeow

Online Classes?

Hi!

I've been looking at online courses, and most of the ones I have seen are by makers who hand stitch their leather goods.  I understand that the up front prep stuff is basically the same, and that's something I definitely could benefit from learning from a master.  But I'd like to be able to see it finished on a machine.  I'm sure there are specific techniques, methods, tips and tricks for machine sewing leather goods, but I just can't seem to find one teacher that does just that. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

PS...I'm in the US.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:26 AM, lilmissmeow said:

Hi!

I've been looking at online courses, and most of the ones I have seen are by makers who hand stitch their leather goods.  I understand that the up front prep stuff is basically the same, and that's something I definitely could benefit from learning from a master.  But I'd like to be able to see it finished on a machine.  I'm sure there are specific techniques, methods, tips and tricks for machine sewing leather goods, but I just can't seem to find one teacher that does just that. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

PS...I'm in the US.

You might try looking up specific model sewing machines on youtube and they may have bits of instruction you could piece together.  Do you already have a machine?  What types of items will you be making?  That may help with your question.

I learned to hand sew before buying a machine, and I still sew a fair amount by hand.  The hand sewing gives me perspective on what a machine can/can't do, and how to set up a project to run it through a machine.  Books by the Stohlmans (hand sewing, case making, leather tools) were a foundation in leather construction methods that I use as a yardstick to judge what I see online.  Of course, they didn't use a sewing machine. :)