Brokenolmarine

A pouch for my daughter

I got the stitching done today.  Went out this morning and cut the grooves, punched the holes that could be punched with the fork, then the ones with the awl.  23 on each of the four locations.  Then sat down and started sewing by hand.  I got halfway thru the one side and had to take a break, lower back issues.  While I was resting, the Dump Truck showed up with Limestone for the stalls for the barn, and the second with Dirt for the new Range Berm.  Nice Break. :yeah:

Back at it after lunch.  I got the sewing done, all thru the process, made sure to pull the stitches tight and that they tracked correctly.  After the stitches were done, dyed the groove red again.

I am satisfied, though I see the errors and lessons therein.  I'll take the project to my daughter in the morning, we are meeting her halfway to pick up something she snagged for her mom.  She can critique the new pouch.  If it works, I'll start on the green one.  If not, I'll cut the green one into practice squares for use later and toss the template.  I still could toss the green one and cut out a veg tan so I could carve and stamp patterns on it. 

But for now, call this done.

1971868089_33itsapouch.thumb.jpg.c928acce168d6f37ce61d4d78031db29.jpg

1976194635_34Done.thumb.jpg.0dba18cd60ca8e5851bf926eb96aeacc.jpg

:16:  :thumbsup: 

A side by side Comparison

The NEW leather pouch on the left, the old one on the Right.

1270114426_35oldandnew.thumb.jpg.7bfdd6bfa3b42b77099b52ed5aed44b7.jpg

Just so's yah know... the patch on the NEW one, GLOWS in the Dark.... :clapping:

9 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Just so's yah know... the patch on the NEW one, GLOWS in the Dark.... :clapping:

you did a great job and a very worthwhile project! 

She liked it.  Said if I wanted to do a tooled veg tanned so she'd have a "dressy" pouch, she wouldn't turn it down.

Excellent. But you do know that is not a 'suggestion' but an indirect command to you to make one ?  :lol:

Edited by fredk

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Excellent. But you do know that is not a 'suggestion' but an indirect command to you to make one ?  :lol:

Ain't that the truth.  I don't know about you guys but for me children, grandchildren, nephews and nieces account for most of my "pro bono work" and huge portion of my leather budget but I love 'em anyway.

Edited by jrdunn

She got me started in leather work, because she needed a sheath for the knife I made her.  Then she wanted a carved sheath for the knife when I redid the scales and resharpened the blade.  I'm retired these days, and all I have is time anyway.B)

Edited by Brokenolmarine

On 7/1/2022 at 10:16 PM, Brokenolmarine said:

WOW!  That turned out awesome!  I am sure she loves it.

As I said in an earlier post, I promised her a second pouch.  We had decided the second would be a tooled veg tan pouch.  Here it tis.  It will be finished in Golden Oak Watco Oil once I make and tool a strap to match.  After all, it's going to be dressy.

1621831761_16completed.thumb.jpg.eaa21f90c72e37f68a62a80bbe16722a.jpg

I am very happy with the finished product, especially the stitching.  I used several improved techniques I developed from the practice I got on the first one.

First: Extreme care in alignment of the side and top holes is key to ease of sewing.

Second:  I drilled the holes that went thru the top, with a fine bit.  Smaller holes, neater stitch line.

Third: Care to insure the exit of the angled (Awled ) holes in the vertical sides, exited in the center of the edge.

Forth: I used a larger waxed thread to fill the holes and improve the look and balance with the project size.

Last: I took a very sharp pencil and poke it into and twisted it in, every hole, from the back side.  This left a lead bullseye in the holes, so they were easy to see. NO probing trying to locate a hole.

1359161526_17SideView.thumb.jpg.d899a972ba4706cd5a0c5acd48751a8a.jpg

Once the strap is completed, you should see the project again, with the strap, and the Golden Oak applied to the pouch and the strap.

Watch the space.

That looks great @Brokenolmarine.  Basket weave is clean for sure. Anxiously awaiting the finished result.  Might I suggest starting a new post thread for it so it doesn't get missed.

I've never done a boxstitch, so this was SO informative and detailed! I'll definitely be going back to read this thread if I ever need to do one.

Thanks for taking the time to post about your work!