Hey folks,

I have run into some issues with the antique pastes from Fiebings, more specifically, their application process. 

I can't get the paste to "stick" around for a prolonged period of time, even without wear and tear. The first picture is of a basket weave belt I made. After using the paste on it, every little indentation would have a thick, dark brown residue on it, just like it should after using antique paste. I then used an airbrush to coat the belt in two layers of undiluted (!) Fiebing's leather sheen. However, after a couple of days, the identations became lighter and lighter, as the leftover paste slowly fell out and after a now, after a couple of weeks, the belt is a uniform color. So why would I bother using antique paste? I can just dye it with an airbrush and save money and material. Kind of disappointing. I figured it was because I used too little protection on the belt so on my next one I made sure to apply a couple more layers of leather sheen. However, this time, it must have been to much sheen, as it began to peel like old skin off the belt and it fell off in flakes. After removing all excess sheen, the paste also disappeared.

On my next photo, the same issue is visible. The lower pieces of the leaves used to be filled with antique paste, giving them a nice, darker color than the rest of the leaves, which is what I figure this paste is for. However, even without even touching this piece due to time issues, most of the paste has not only disappeared completely, but it happened so fast that during the first night of letting it dry and settle, most of the paste had vanished literally overnight. I reapllied paste with a dauber specifically where I needed it, but it vanished again and again. Somtimes, the "pools" of paste  in the indentations would turn from a dark brown color to a beige color. God knows why. In some places, however, the paste is still there. I really do not know what I'm doing wrong and since leathercraft isn't very common where I am from, I have nobody to ask in person. So please, if you could give me any pointers, it would be much appreciated.

20220206_142238 (1).jpg

1847037739_20220624_204512(1).thumb.jpg.5d7ff26417b3dc6778354a7ab80a7bad.jpg

Someone else had a similar problem,. They posted up back in February

Two people at different times & places (maybe, I guessing) using the same product have the same or similar problem

I'd suggest that its the Antique paste at fault. Maybe some change in its formula

Have you tried Tandy Eco-Flo Gel Antique?

Try dampening your project and then WORKING the antiquing into the depressions. It's not meant to be "wipe it on-wipe it off".