JWheeler331

Carved Ruger Vaquero / Colt Holsters

I do not do many carved holsters. I want to get better at them and finally found a swivel knife that I am comfortable using. Now I feel like my swivel knife work is finally okay so I can practice my stamping work for floral designs. 

IMG_4406_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_4451_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_4454_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_4455_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_4459_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Those are awesome work, they look great !!! Is there going to be a matching belt?

51 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Those are awesome work, they look great !!! Is there going to be a matching belt?

Thank you.  I am going to do a belt. I am trying to decide on the style of belt though. 

Those are most very excellent

I mean this as a compliment; they look like they belong on the pages of 'Packing Iron'

Very nice work.:specool: Somewhat better than my first effort. I notice that, like me, you haven't quite mastered the pear shading. I thought mine was ok - until I took a photo!:blink: It's not as easy as I thought, it requires a light touch.

How about a bit of info on dye used and finishing? We like to know these things.:)

15 hours ago, fredk said:

Those are most very excellent

I mean this as a compliment; they look like they belong on the pages of 'Packing Iron'

Thank you Fredk. 

15 hours ago, dikman said:

Very nice work.:specool: Somewhat better than my first effort. I notice that, like me, you haven't quite mastered the pear shading. I thought mine was ok - until I took a photo!:blink: It's not as easy as I thought, it requires a light touch.

How about a bit of info on dye used and finishing? We like to know these things.:)

I have not carved much and you are very correct. There are many aspects of the stamping process that I have not gotten good at yet. Now that I finally found a swivel knive that I like and feel I can use I hope to start doing more carvings and hopefully get better and better at the artistic part of the stamping. 

11 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Nice work!

Thank you. 

As for the dying and finishing....... I went a different route on this one. NO dye. I used an old bottle of Fiebings Antiquing Gel in Med. Brown. Lots of hand rubbing applied with dabbing it on an old piece of T-shirt. Then finished it with Mink Oil and lots more rubbing. 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:51 AM, JWheeler331 said:

Thank you Fredk. 

I have not carved much and you are very correct. There are many aspects of the stamping process that I have not gotten good at yet. Now that I finally found a swivel knive that I like and feel I can use I hope to start doing more carvings and hopefully get better and better at the artistic part of the stamping. 

First off, nice work. Just keep at it as it's a learning process like most things are and you will get better as you go.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:06 AM, doubleh said:

First off, nice work. Just keep at it as it's a learning process like most things are and you will get better as you go.

Thanks. 

Nice work you'll be a big hit at the range what's the finish.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:56 AM, Samalan said:

Nice work you'll be a big hit at the range what's the finish.

The finish or color is just Med Brown Fiebings Gel Antique. Then top coat.