YinTx

Trying to learn video making skills... warmup video, comments welcome please!

Second video I've done trying to show stamping/tooling.  Tried to add music, subtitles, etc.  Still getting the angles down so folks can see what is going on under the tools... open to comments and suggestions if you are kind enough to take 48 seconds on the first and 5 minutes (on the second) out of your day to entertain yourself with my efforts!  Thanks much.

YinTx

First video:

second video:

Seemed smooth to me and the slow down and speed up was nice to show detail and then speed up so you weren't bored watching the same process.  The black color on the  subtitles seemed to blend a bit with the granite.  Maybe a differnt color would be better.    But it was readable.  

Music was nice and seemed to flow.   

Just my off rhe xuff thoughts 

Ross 

@Rossr, Thanks for the feedback.  I got lucky that the canned music available without fees just seemed to match the pace of the work.  I think you are right on the font color, I didn't spend enough time working through that, was fighting to just get titles into the movie!  I'll be able to focus on that more in the future, now that I understand a little more about putting titles in.

Still trying to decide on who the audience should be:  potential customers for leather goods, or other leather workers.  This will affect how much detail I show and how fast I show it, as well as where I mention the videos.

YinTx

I don't see the point of the first video, sorry. For me it's much too fast to see what you are doing. And in the second video there is two minutes of black screen at the end, whereas the interesting bits in the middle are sped up again. Was that really your intention? Or did you forget to cut off the music?

Another thing: Personally, I only watch instructional videos without somebody explaining what they are doing (meaning talking, direct or voice over doesn't matter) if there is absolutely no alternative. Which is not the case for leatherwork. So I think, if you absolutely don't want to talk, you are better off making advertising videos to attract customers.

Just my opinion, but you asked for it.

20 minutes ago, Klara said:

I don't see the point of the first video, sorry. For me it's much too fast to see what you are doing. And in the second video there is two minutes of black screen at the end, whereas the interesting bits in the middle are sped up again. Was that really your intention? Or did you forget to cut off the music?

Another thing: Personally, I only watch instructional videos without somebody explaining what they are doing (meaning talking, direct or voice over doesn't matter) if there is absolutely no alternative. Which is not the case for leatherwork. So I think, if you absolutely don't want to talk, you are better off making advertising videos to attract customers.

Just my opinion, but you asked for it.

@Klara, thanks also for the feedback.  You pretty much nailed what I am referring to when it comes to deciding to whom I market the videos.  The first video would simply show anyone that may be purchasing something I made a very quick idea of what I am doing, that it is not just mass stamped out on a big machine by the hundreds, but hand crafted.  Yes, pretty pointless for those of us that normally do it.  :)

Not seeing the black section of video - not sure why you are?  Hopefully not something anyone else is having an issue with, because I don't know how to resolve it if I can't see it myself.  :(  

I think if I do an instructional video, it will be much longer than 5 minutes, and I would be talking, and there would probably be a lot fewer time lapse sections.  As you mention, there are a lot of good instructional videos out there, so I wonder if the world needs more?

Also, part of the purpose of making these videos is for me to learn how to do it, what works, what doesn't.  They are not easy to do, you feel like you are tooling everything with your third left hand to make sure it is visible on camera, well lit, etc.  Not to mention the crash course in video editing.  So I do appreciate the constructive comments, they will help give me direction.  And alert me to weird things like 2 minutes of blank screen in a published video!!!

YinTx

The black part seems to have been a browser problem  - the picture cut off after 3 minutes and the music continued. Yesterday, today it seems fine. Strange...

Actually . . . the most important part of any video  . . .  is not the video itself . . . but rather the editing.

It is actually the editing that MAKES the video.  Anyone can set up a camera . . . run their mouth about all the great things they are doing and want to show . . . and it is not quite as boring as the democrat convention . . . but it is close.

If you want to captivate your audience . . . it needs to be short . . . kill the idea of telling everyone about your great aunt's berry patch that let you into leather work 32 1/2 years ago.  Stay away from long winded descriptions of this / that / and the other thing.  State what you are going to do in all of about 10 seconds . . .  then do it.

Keep any instructional video at 5 minutes or less.  Make a "Part 2"  or a "Part 3" if necessary  . . .  you are not making 60 minutes documentaries.  This is especially important if it is the same process over and over and over. 

For example . . .  if tooling a large holster for an old black powder pistol . . . break it up into border . . .  flowers . . .  stems . . .  fill in . . . etc.  State what you are doing . . . then do it . . . and shut down.  Tell interested folks to subscribe . . . that way they'll be notified of the next one.

You might also look into Cyberlink Power Director 10 / 12 / 14 / or 16.  They are some of the best personal use editors out there . . .  there is a learning curve . . .  but it is not a hard one.  Cyberlink is trying to go "MicroSoft" and make the new subscribers rent their product . . . look on Ebay . . .  you can buy these self contained programs at reasonable prices.  PD 16 was the  last full self contained . . . so if you can grab it . . . it is the best of the bunch.

Finally . . . if you really . . . really  . . .  want to do this . . .  invest in several cameras . . . at least 2 . . . 3 is a lot better . . .  we use this one at our church every Sunday . . .  we record on 4 cameras  . . . take out the SD chips . . . go home and edit for an hour or so.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/195172099088?hash=item2d7129e410:g:tt0AAOSwsEBiuedc

Also if you want to put in a page of written instructions . . . use Power Point . . . you can import it directly into Power Director and drop it where ever you want.

Finally . . . build an introductory screen . . . a short one . . . that tells who you are . . . and what you are doing . . . AND THEN . . . after the video is done . . . list the tools you used . . . the leather type . . . the dyes . . . the finish . . . give the customer a succinct place to come and get that info.  Trying to go back and find it . . . even in a 5 minute video can be a real pain.

Have fun . . . may God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

Have fun . . . may God bless,

I pulled out a few hairs trying to learn editing, etc!  Hopefully the future ones are more "fun."  :)

A whole lot of useful info in your comment, really appreciated.  I have never even heard of Cyberlink Power Director, I'll check it out.  If I have to buy 3 or 4 cameras, I don't see that translating into a profitable venture, so I'll have to make do with my phone camera that I used to make the videos you see.  If by some random chance it takes off, I'll invest in them. Used like you show will probably be the way to start.  I thought about that last paragraph you mentioned, but was a bit unsure about all the licensing/permissions/subsidies etc.  Same with music, kinda need to figure that out.   I can do the introductory screen for sure tho.

@Klara, thanks for the update, glad it seems to have resolved, because I would have been clueless how to fix it!

YinTx

Hello fellow Texan! You've been given some good advice. I have my own leatherworking YouTube channel I've been (slowly) building up in the last few years. Not saying I'm an expert; I'm trying to learn as I go. But my quick thoughts:

--Agree that filming is the easy part. The real chore is editing that footage together into a "story" that will hold people's attention.  

--I wouldn't agree you need more than one camera. IMHO, that would just make editing more complicated. But be prepared to be frequently changing angles to get the best shot. The one camera you do have should be good quality (This is my next investment)

--Lighting is just as important as the camera (maybe more?). Fortunately, it can be had much cheaper. I used an inexpensive light ring from Amazon.

--I wouldn't necessarily agree in needing short videos: Depends on subject matter, but it's generally held longer formats equate to longer watch time . . . which helps your algorithm.

--Relating to above, watch time is actually more important than subscribers if you're concerned about revenue.

--Don't skimp on your thumbnails . . . they're the billboard for your video as people scroll through hundreds of other videos with similar content.

Good Luck! 

26 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

--Lighting is just as important as the camera (maybe more?). Fortunately, it can be had much cheaper. I used an inexpensive light ring from Amazon.

Agree on that one.  I recently acquired a Godox SL150.  Wish I had it a long time ago, makes tooling work easier to see!  Makes things show up on video, too.

28 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

I wouldn't agree you need more than one camera. IMHO, that would just make editing more complicated. But be prepared to be frequently changing angles to get the best shot. 

I think having more than one would simplify constantly moving the camera around, and ending up with 20 slightly different angles when there should only be 2 or 3.  But for budget sake, for now, agree that only one is absolutely necessary.

30 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

--Relating to above, watch time is actually more important than subscribers if you're concerned about revenue.

Good to know.  Not necessarily trying to get rich here, but don't need another expensive hobby.  Would like to at least break even, after that is gravy.  I am guessing there are several ways to monetize, including selling the item being made, selling tools/materials used to make the item, sending viewers to a store, earning commissions... so I'll need to figure all that out also.

32 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

--Don't skimp on your thumbnails . . . they're the billboard for your video as people scroll through hundreds of other videos with similar content.

Thanks for that!  Should have been obvious to me, after all I scroll videos all the time and base what I will watch off of the title and the thumbnail.  Sometimes need someone to point out that thing right in front of my nose, lol!  :bike:

YinTx

You should check out Road agent leather.....really great work and not to many followers. I wish you beat of luck, I believe he uses 1 camera. Worth the watch for you to get insight

8 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Take out the extra space between "up" and "where" @0:26. :P

Hahah that's a sharp eye!  Just don't be looking for all the carving and tooling errors I made while focusing on the camera work instead of the leather work.  :whistle:

I'll pay more attention to the titles etc. next version for sure.

YinTx

Edit to say, surprised no one has commented on me reaching for the Tandy swivel knife instead of the Robert Beard swivel knife next to it...

Edited by YinTx

12 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

You should check out Road agent leather.....really great work and not to many followers. I wish you beat of luck, I believe he uses 1 camera. Worth the watch for you to get insight

I think that is @Chakotay?  He has quite a few followers, especially compared to me lol!  Some good branding skills on his channel.

YinTx

Edited by YinTx

Yes, that's me! 

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

I think that is @Chakotay?  He has quite a few followers, especially compared to me lol!  Some good branding skills on his channel.

YinTx

No, I meant Road Agent leather

6 hours ago, Chakotay said:

Yes, that's me! 

43 minutes ago, Bawarrior said:

No, I meant Road Agent leather

I yam confused.

YinTx

47 minutes ago, YinTx said:

I yam confused.

YinTx

Ha. Sorry. Road Agent Leather is my YouTube channel. I go by "Chakotay" here on the forum.

37 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

Ha. Sorry. Road Agent Leather is my YouTube channel. I go by "Chakotay" here on the forum.

Well then, your videos are awesome. Thank you 

1 hour ago, Chakotay said:

That's what I thought, thanks for the clarity!  You can add your channel to your profile here also if you desire.

YinTx

Will start a new topic, but next video, starting a series.  Tried to implement some of the suggestions, still need to work out how to do some of the others.  For now, leaning towards other leather workers as an audience.  Still open to feedback!

YinTx

looks good... an ya pick a mean guit-fiddle ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

looks good... an ya pick a mean guit-fiddle ;)

Appreciate that!  Can't take credit for the canned music, I took after me mum and can only play the floor.  Maybe the triangle around high noon.

I really debated doing this series as there are so many leather working videos out there, but I feel that my presentation and some of my processes are a bit different, so might be worth it if someone learns something new.  Also, I wanted my customers that might not normally go looking for this type of video to see what goes into the goods I produce.  To that end, I may make more time lapse videos, time will tell!

YinTx

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

Appreciate that!  Can't take credit for the canned music, I took after me mum and can only play the floor.  Maybe the triangle around high noon.

I really debated doing this series as there are so many leather working videos out there, but I feel that my presentation and some of my processes are a bit different, so might be worth it if someone learns something new.  Also, I wanted my customers that might not normally go looking for this type of video to see what goes into the goods I produce.  To that end, I may make more time lapse videos, time will tell!

YinTx

Over all pretty darn good.   I would suggest a pop filter/windscreen of some sort for your microphone, though.  They aren't expensive at all, and can help audio quality.  Lighting is fairly good, as is the content.

If you want to do the time-lapse thing, put a clock in the background so that folks know how much time is really spent.  Since you're trying to let customers know what goes into your product - 30 seconds could give the impression of something taking just a few minutes when in reality it takes half an hour or more.  A nice big clock could help to correct that perception.

- Bill

11 hours ago, billybopp said:

Over all pretty darn good.   I would suggest a pop filter/windscreen of some sort for your microphone, though.  They aren't expensive at all, and can help audio quality.  Lighting is fairly good, as is the content.

If you want to do the time-lapse thing, put a clock in the background so that folks know how much time is really spent.  Since you're trying to let customers know what goes into your product - 30 seconds could give the impression of something taking just a few minutes when in reality it takes half an hour or more.  A nice big clock could help to correct that perception.

- Bill

@billybopp, thank you for the suggestion.  I will look for something of that nature.  I don't really have a microphone, so I may look for something better along that line also, just using an old headset I have.  I thought about putting a clock when I first started, but realized that I have a lot of interruptions during the work, so the time would not be very representative.  I may get a timer, presuming I actually remember to turn it on and off!    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

YinTx