YinTx

Trying to learn video making skills... warmup video, comments welcome please!

I second the clock/timer suggestion!

11 hours ago, YinTx said:

@billybopp, thank you for the suggestion.  I will look for something of that nature.  I don't really have a microphone, so I may look for something better along that line also, just using an old headset I have.  I thought about putting a clock when I first started, but realized that I have a lot of interruptions during the work, so the time would not be very representative.  I may get a timer, presuming I actually remember to turn it on and off!    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

YinTx

Ahhh.  For a headset you can get a foam pop filter which should help.  If the headset will allow it, you can try moving the mic a little farther from your mouth.  I wear a headset every day for work, and folks told me that sound was much improved after adding a foam filter.  I had a problem with finding one that would fit  exactly right but found one on Amazon that was close enough, but it needs a small rubber band to keep it from slipping off.

- Bill

On 7/19/2022 at 8:50 PM, YinTx said:

Appreciate that!  Can't take credit for the canned music, I took after me mum and can only play the floor.  Maybe the triangle around high noon.

I really debated doing this series as there are so many leather working videos out there, but I feel that my presentation and some of my processes are a bit different, so might be worth it if someone learns something new.  Also, I wanted my customers that might not normally go looking for this type of video to see what goes into the goods I produce.  To that end, I may make more time lapse videos, time will tell!

YinTx

A good start! here's my two cents. As an old guy you were hard to hear in the beginning, speak up a bit. A hearing impaired plus is you didn't talk and play music together at the same time:thumbsup:

I noticed you referenced using a ball point pen in tracing without talking about backing the tracing paper your using, a beginner would print something off on copy paper then sooner or later  rip through it and ruin his leather with ink marks. that's the only thing i saw that i would change.

I do think the first step is deciding what you are trying to accomplish. education or advertising if education then who? beginners or more learned folks. If you are selling yourself then nice music and some of your awesome tooling, sewing all the cool stuff. with maybe some wording that describes what exactly you do differently. Leave out the tape section put in some more hand tooling work that pushes your skills. if educational then you have a lot more thinking to do comparatively. Making a purse Imo should start with pattern and leather selection with maybe some discussion on leather types and such whys and whatfors. then on to cutting out again why you cut your pieces the size you do, where you cut them from etc. tools you use for each sequence.  Then on to your casing and tracing etc. again whys and how's, tool list, what a craft aid is, different methods.

Any way i'm sure your getting the drift of my comment each segment should have a common denominator of how you do each step so as folks watch they get used to your methods, for example a quick tool list at the beginning, a quick rundown of what its about and then just right into the work. A guy can literally spend hours just perusing the youtubes on leather work let alone watching them i think a series would work well for keeping your audience. All the comments on this thread  are great i hope i have added some food for thought also. i sincerely wish you all the Good luck !!!!!

My last thought if you decide on educational videos for beginers find a friend who doesn't know s*#t about leather work and let him make something using only your videos. it will become apparent really fast what you need to work on.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:56 AM, Klara said:

I second the clock/timer suggestion!

I'll try to find a decent one...

On 7/21/2022 at 5:13 AM, billybopp said:

Ahhh.  For a headset you can get a foam pop filter which should help.  If the headset will allow it, you can try moving the mic a little farther from your mouth.  I wear a headset every day for work, and folks told me that sound was much improved after adding a foam filter.  I had a problem with finding one that would fit  exactly right but found one on Amazon that was close enough, but it needs a small rubber band to keep it from slipping off.

- Bill

Headset does have a move-able microphone, has a little foam piece also, but really not top quality, and prolly 15+ years old.  I'll be looking for a new one... until then I'll try to get it to work better.

On 7/21/2022 at 3:55 PM, chuck123wapati said:

My last thought if you decide on educational videos for beginers find a friend who doesn't know s*#t about leather work and let him make something using only your videos. it will become apparent really fast what you need to work on.

That is top notch advice, right there, lol!  

On 7/21/2022 at 3:55 PM, chuck123wapati said:

you referenced using a ball point pen in tracing without talking about backing the tracing paper your using,

I did mention ever so fast that the tracing was covered in tape... but yah, if someone missed it they'd be learning the hard way.

Regarding all the details you suggest bringing into the information portion of a video, I like it.  If I find that there is a lot of desire for that kind of knowledge going forward, I'll start to include it.  At first I am afraid of putting so much in there that it becomes a 5 hour video that no one wants to see, and then the risk that there is so little info that again, no one wants to see it!  I have started a video on just tools, that way I can refer to it as I am going and not have to discuss knives each time I do a carving, etc.  I hope that works well, time will tell.

YinTx

22 hours ago, YinTx said:

I'll try to find a decent one...

Headset does have a move-able microphone, has a little foam piece also, but really not top quality, and prolly 15+ years old.  I'll be looking for a new one... until then I'll try to get it to work better.

That is top notch advice, right there, lol!  

I did mention ever so fast that the tracing was covered in tape... but yah, if someone missed it they'd be learning the hard way.

Regarding all the details you suggest bringing into the information portion of a video, I like it.  If I find that there is a lot of desire for that kind of knowledge going forward, I'll start to include it.  At first I am afraid of putting so much in there that it becomes a 5 hour video that no one wants to see, and then the risk that there is so little info that again, no one wants to see it!  I have started a video on just tools, that way I can refer to it as I am going and not have to discuss knives each time I do a carving, etc.  I hope that works well, time will tell.

YinTx

your keeping it small/short  to one step at a time is an awesome idea. I have watched a video of over two hours before but not on leather work lol, rebuilding a 4l60 e tranny, the guy was good!!!! both in his video work , precise and to the point, and his tranny work you could tell he knew his shit and could do it blindfolded. 

On 7/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, chuck123wapati said:

your keeping it small/short  to one step at a time is an awesome idea. I have watched a video of over two hours before but not on leather work lol, rebuilding a 4l60 e tranny, the guy was good!!!! both in his video work , precise and to the point, and his tranny work you could tell he knew his shit and could do it blindfolded. 

Thanks.  Part 2 is out.  I don't claim to be an expert, just another guy doing things a tad differently.

YinTx