Mocivnik

Weird (?) edge finish

Customer wanted me to do some specific edges, as I got this photo for reference.

Ever since I used to burnish edges with wooden slicker + water, later on I added pro dye or edge kote, depends what I had at home. But these edges seems to look completely different, anyone got any idea on how to achieve them? Would be really helpful.

il_794xN.3288289456_cysc.png

il_794xN.3471874923_ozmk.jpg

39 minutes ago, Mocivnik said:

But these edges seems to look completely different,

My first thought is that they were burnished/polished  using a machine , and a leather core giving them a ' raised' look in the centre. :dunno:  A soft-ish leather on the top with a heavier leather on the underside, burnished before sewing. :dunno:

What are they, cuffs ?? 

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

My first thought is that they were burnished/polished  using a machine , and a leather core giving them a ' raised' look in the centre. :dunno:  A soft-ish leather on the top with a heavier leather on the underside, burnished before sewing. :dunno:

What are they, cuffs ?? 

HS

I think it's bracelet.

But no matter the leather beneath the edge, I still think it's some sort of wax/rubber that you somehow "install" to the edge.

It's edge paint. Probably several thin coats over a sanded/profiled edge.

the picture isn't clear enough to tell if its even leather on the inside. Maybe a faux leather product with a "genuine leather" outer piece. 

21 minutes ago, Matt S said:

:16: but thick coats

Women Faux Leather Bracelet Twist Lock Wide Bangle Fashion Cuff Wrist ...

this is a faux leather bracelet too. I agree if it is real  veg tan leather then what Fred and Matt said.  

Edited by chuck123wapati

here is the way to do it from the best. this thread is still open.

You could achieve a similar look making a padded strap.  I typically use 1/8" neoprene and 3 oz leather for the padded liner, sewn on a 8-10 oz strap.  JH Leather has several videos with variations of this construction.  Also, those bracelets look like raised leather - a thin filler inserted between the front and back of a split strap, wet molded and sewn.  JH Leather covers that as well.

Edited by TomE

That's edge paint, guaranteed. You can see where they sanded it a little shallow on the one pic.

If you are really wanting to learn how to paint edges, check out Corter Leather's channel on YT and he has a few excellent videos on how to nail painted edges. He makes it look pretty simple. Even though paint eventually peels off, it looks great at the time of selling, if that is what your customer desires.

Edge paint and use a 1/8" metal rod to apply it. I use brass dip it into the paint and then rub/slide it along the edge. I will give you very fine control of where the paint goes. I know it sounds wierd, I learned it from A Japanese leather smith but I couldn't read his name

Do the edges really have to be that perfect anyway? :dunno:   

16 hours ago, Matt S said:

I agree

9 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That's edge paint, guaranteed. You can see where they sanded it a little shallow on the one pic.

I think on the top picture at the front that what you are seeing is a wipe with the heated iron. The iron reshapes and smooths out the edge paint and sometimes can run over the sides if you are not careful.

9 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Even though paint eventually peels off, it looks great at the time of selling, if that is what your customer desires.

This happens if you get the leatheredges too smooth or burnish it but it is not a problem if you do it correctly.

This link I did awhile back making a watch band shows the technique I have been using for many years. This is how I do the belts and most edge painted finishes.

This link can be found in my profile section in the about me section along with quite a few other projects I have shared.