Sign in to follow this  
waddy

how do I set Line 24 snaps

I just needed to set some of the large Line 24 snaps on some 4 oz chap leather. I don't have a press, just the little snap and rivet set that handles the two sizes of large snaps, segma snaps, and rapid rivets. Basically just an anvil and a hand held punch. For me, it is extremely difficult to get the long post on the cap (female) side of the snap to crimp or roll straight without squashing to the side. Anyone have a simple solution (which is probably obvious to most folks) to this perplexing problem? Is there an easy way to cut off the post so it is more appropriate to the thickness (or thinness) of the leather. Thanks for suggestions.

Only way I know (and do) is to cut the post shorter. I've used side cutter but, then you have to open the hole. Someone here suggested a cutoff wheel on a dremel and that's what I do next time.

I got a pair of crimping pliers at a fabric store. It also came with a few snaps. The base flips for either the rounded cap or the flat base and the pin side is diamond shaped and keeps the snap centered. With a little care you can also do line 20 snaps.

I'll post pics if ya want.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

even with a press they will be crooked if the post is to long, I found that it works ok if the post is just proud of the leather maybe a 16th, nippers, dremel, file or jewelers saw, whatever works for you. On thicker stuff use a french skiver to countersink an area around the post. irritating isn't it!

Many thanks for the speedy replies! I kind of figured the only solution was to make the post shorter. I was looking for a more time effective way than cutting the post. I had discarded the idea of cutting them with side cutters, as you mentioned Regis, for the very reason you mention. Do you have much difficulty straightening them out? I had thought about the dremel tool with the cut-off wheel, and will probably try that. I will also look into the crimping pliers Jim, thanks for that. I have already been on the too thick side Jordan, and solved that problem just as you have. Thanks to all for your suggestions, I appreciate them all very much. This is something you would think I would have worked out by now, but I actually do very little work with snaps. Thanks again.