AndrewWR

Nubuck tote / tool bag

My neighbour laughed at me when I said I wanted to make a 'manly' tote.

This is 3.5mm to 4mm thick nubuck with English Bridle hide handles cored with the leather drive belt from a (very old) lathe. Oh and it's destined to be a tool bag. Manly enough for you, Andrea?

The back of the hide was treated with Tokonole to seal it and smooth it a bit. Hence the darkness. The hardware is a couple of Loxx fasteners (marine grade) rather than a zipper because things like spirit levels or steel rulers stick out the top.

Dimensions: Top (closed) 47cm   Base - 37cm x 13cm   Height 40cm   Handle drop 10cm   Handle diameter (not counting seam) 14mm

637801412_20220628_000216small.thumb.jpg.11d7377ae9a0587fcd54ec71d0b8c720.jpg1446852854_20220628_000243small.thumb.jpg.313abd03f47086db8b712a3d7274b9a6.jpg876191787_20220628_000324small.jpg.dc6ad4055d7d1aa4e00b2220d6015bf0.jpg

Very nice build!  I have been looking for an idea/inspiration to build a tool bag of my own.  When I build this one I am pretty sure my wife will steal it

Not sure how I missed the original post, but glad it popped back up.  that is fantastic work!  

4 hours ago, Johns3b said:

When I build this one I am pretty sure my wife will steal it

Do you mean it's not 'manly' after all? Did I just make a handbag by mistake? :-(

On 7/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, AndrewWR said:

Do you mean it's not 'manly' after all? Did I just make a handbag by mistake? :-(

No not at all.  I should have said “my wife will,love those colors together and steal my awesome tool bag”

Is that morse code on the panel between the handles?

On 7/6/2022 at 2:55 PM, AndrewWR said:

It is beautiful but unfortunately I think society has trained us to see that style more like a woman's tote/handbag than something manly. It is a great bag but I'm not sure if you can make one look manly. If it isn't some sort of doctor's bag or something I think it'll be hard to make the shift to "manly".

Having said that though, eff what society says...rock that beautiful ass bag wherever you want to and if people are stupid/bigoted enough to relate your masculinity to your desire to easily carry stuff they need to rethink their position in modern life.

On 7/16/2022 at 2:03 AM, HaloJones said:

I was wondering the same...

On 7/16/2022 at 10:03 AM, HaloJones said:

Yes, HJ. My maker's mark is my initials in morse code (minus any spacing)  . -   . - -   . - . = AWR 

Usually, I hide it somewhere in a non-structural seam by punching stitching holes in 3mm and 5mm spacing but on this tool bag I tried something new because there was a blemish on the nubuck I couldn't cut around so I covered it.

I'd be proud to tote my tools around in that bag, and if anyone said anything about my Manley hood , well well   I just don't know what i'd do  I would slap them yes I would slap them hard .:17::whatdoyouthink::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

and then I'd throw a hissy fit:yes:

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

I'd be proud to tote my tools around in that bag, and if anyone said anything about my Manley hood , well well   I just don't know what i'd do  I would slap them yes I would slap them hard .:17::whatdoyouthink::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

whack em once with that tote full o tools and they will quit bothering you.

Damn, wish this board had the option to like posts!!

Having said that though, eff what society says...rock that beautiful ass bag wherever you want to and if people are stupid/bigoted enough to relate your masculinity to your desire to easily carry stuff they need to rethink their position in modern life.

Battlemunky, AMEN!!

whack em once with that tote full o tools and they will quit bothering you.

Chuck, LOVE your suggestion! LOL! 

Bert, :rofl:

Beautiful bag,  Andrew! And really like the Morse code signature! Very unique idea!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Very nice bag and it sure looks sturdy enough to carry lots of tools.  I'm sure your wife will love it.