thekid77

watch strap - how to start & finish w/linen thread??

hello leatherworker fam,

please see photo - this is a watch strap stitched with linen thread.....

I understand how the stitch is started, one hole back, stitch forward, then back, but.....

how is the line of stitching ended??

you can't burn the end because it's linen, and  only 1 back stitch seems like it would work itself loose over time.....

can anyone explain?

Screenshot_20220627-191852_Instagram.jpg

With a needle poke a little pva glue in the hole. Let it dry and give it a further poke if needed.

Start and finish with a backstitch. Secure the ends of the thread with a small dab of PVA glue, as shown in this video

Edited by zuludog

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

With a needle poke a little pva glue in the hole. Let it dry and give it a further poke if needed.

Thank you Rocky!!

7 minutes ago, zuludog said:

Start and finish with a backstitch. Secure the ends of the thread with a small dab of PVA glue, as shown in this video at about 8 mins 20 secs

Thank you Zulu!! I was told by a maker that they don't use any glue, and they were unwilling to share their technique. I get it, but I've always felt that this community has been very generous and open, even those who are in business for themselves have been willing to help (in my personal experience)...

I really appreciate y'all taking the time to help me!!

Any idea how they might be doing this without glue?

Edited by thekid77

A method I've heard of, but never done myself, is that on the last stitch only go through one thickness of leather, so that the needles emerge between the two. Then tie the threads together with a flat knot like a reef knot, and push & hide the knot back between the layers

I can imagine doing this with something like a knife sheath or an axe cover, but I  think you would need to be very neat & careful on thinner leather like a wallet or a watch strap

Of course, securing the ends of synthetic thread is easier. Do you use linen for the appearance or the feel against your skin? I think Meisi make a synthetic thread that is designed to look & feel like linen; I'll see if I can find a reference

YT channels such as Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather, Nigel Armitage, JH Leather, Corter Leather, Leathercraft Masterclass give a lot of detail, information & explanation of techniques; there are others of course 

EDIT - here is the Meisi thread I mentioned, but you'll have to find your own supplier 

XianGe Waxed Polyester – Threads of MeiSi

Edited by zuludog

4 hours ago, zuludog said:

A method I've heard of, but never done myself, is that on the last stitch only go through one thickness of leather, so that the needles emerge between the two. Then tie the threads together with a flat knot like a reef knot, and push & hide the knot back between the layers

I can imagine doing this with something like a knife sheath or an axe cover, but I  think you would need to be very neat & careful on thinner leather like a wallet or a watch strap

Of course, securing the ends of synthetic thread is easier. Do you use linen for the appearance or the feel against your skin? I think Meisi make a synthetic thread that is designed to look & feel like linen; I'll see if I can find a reference

YT channels such as Ian Atkinson/Leodis Leather, Nigel Armitage, JH Leather, Corter Leather, Leathercraft Masterclass give a lot of detail, information & explanation of techniques; there are others of course 

EDIT - here is the Meisi thread I mentioned, but you'll have to find your own supplier 

XianGe Waxed Polyester – Threads of MeiSi

wow, thank you so much for all of the info! I have heard of finishing "between" the layers, just never done it myself....and it didn't occur to me that that is what may be going on in the case of the photograph...

I actually prefer poly thread, it's just that seeing the way these straps were done w linen piqued my curiosity as the ends of linen can't be burned to finish,and the maker stated that there was no glue used either.....I think process of elimination leaves a knot.....because I think a single backstitch left by itself would definitely work its way free over time, and I don't believe a maker of such a fine looking product would leave that to chance....

Thank you also for the link to the thread and to all of the wonderful content creators!! I have watched and loved Nigel and Ian's content for many yrs now.....time to revisit them and the others to learn more!

Thanks again for sharing the best of the best!!