Rocky143

What to use for wallet ID window?

What do people use for ID windows  in wallets, etc.?

I have had things with ID windows that "melted" photocopy ink which then became fused into the window material.  Does anyone know why that happens?  How do I choose materials for which that will not happen?

What materials do you use and how do you choose them?

same question. watching

34 minutes ago, Rocky143 said:

What do people use for ID windows  in wallets, etc.?

I have had things with ID windows that "melted" photocopy ink which then became fused into the window material.  Does anyone know why that happens?  How do I choose materials for which that will not happen?

What materials do you use and how do you choose them?

20 minutes ago, Frodo said:

same question. watching

I  use a heavy duty vinyl used for windows in tents and such.  I had a tough time sourcing in bulk and  I buy 100lb rolls so my source isn't one  most of you could use... But this looks like the type of stuff you'd want:

Tent Vinyl

Two materials; lamination pouches - the two bits of thin plastic you cover a paper page with then run through a laminator. Run the pouch through the laminator without an enclosed page and you get a sheet of thin fairly flexible plastic, As the pouch is designed to enclose printed sheets the plastic wont damage.

The other, is you can buy thin clear PVC by the yard, but I don't know how it will affect printed material

eg;   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-Clear-PVC-Sheeting-Crack-Resistant-For-Windows-Boat-Covers-Greenhouse-DIY-/142034218664?var=&hash=item2111e62ea8

Edited by fredk

I used clear PVC on a few and it's hard to hold in place while you sew it since a lot of glues don't want to stick and then if you don't have a good seam allowance it'll pull through. I gave up on putting something in the window and just leave it open. 

Strong double sided tape does that job

12 minutes ago, fredk said:

Strong double sided tape does that job

I used Tim's tape and it tried but just didn't hold well at all. I got a few to hold long enough to get them sewn but it was wonky the entire way. Using veg tan dyed with Fiebings Pro Dye. My brother is a LEO and I made him a badge wallet and the window lasted about a month, not to mention butt sweat and humidity (Florida...) transferred dye from the other parts of the wallet to the window and turned it blue...

I found it easier just to leave them off. I mainly avoid them. I may give it a whirl again one of these days because I've learned a good amount since I tried last time and may be able to assemble things in a different sequence to help myself as well. Maybe a different double sided tape too.

*EDIT* Also, using the PVC available from Hobby Lobby in case it matters.

Edited by battlemunky
added some more info

10 hours ago, nstarleather said:

I  use a heavy duty vinyl used for windows in tents and such.  I had a tough time sourcing in bulk and  I buy 100lb rolls so my source isn't one  most of you could use... But this looks like the type of stuff you'd want:

Boat chandlers have PVC sheet off the roll for bimini 'windows', our local, Whitworths (no connection) have 1.4m wide rolls, 0.75mm thick for $A24/m.

Edited by mdawson