Sign in to follow this  
Rosch22

205 or 441 clones ?

Dear Leatherworkers,

a few days ago I looked at a used DA 205-370, which is a cloned ADLER 205-370.

It was offered on an online marketplace.

Sadly, the way was far, the owner was a miserable character and salesman and the place a horrible run down building with tons of dirt, empty beer bottles and lots of smell.

The machine was covered with nasty dust, the price too high and my fear great, to import this horrible smell of this ramschakle-hut into my workshop, which always smells nicely like leather

So I decided quick to leave it behind and left the place quicker, than I arrived. Unbelievable, how some people live ?!!

Later on I looked again at the differences between the 205 and 441 machines, but I can't make a decision.

Both do the job very well for sure.

What else are the differences, what do You like on the one, and what do You miss on the other ?

Would appreciate Your opinion!!

Keep Your needles always sharp ;))

Kindest regards

My understanding is that both machine are extremely great performers. I too struggled with the same thing - figuring out which one was better. The truth is, probably whichever one you can find a better deal with.

I've read that the 205 is a more costly machine with parts and maintenance, but is a quieter machine. I've read that the 441 has more available parts, but can be a bit more noisy.

From my experience, when a machine has been sitting uncared for for years and is displayed for sale that way, they dont care about, and probably dont know anything about it. They throw out a crazy price with a wish and prayer. I dont grant either so I let them know i cant activate that super power and give them my offer. If its not acceptable, I’ll point out the problems that will need to be addressed and how much that will cost. If still no, I leave. 95% of the time they will call back, willing to deal…. Trash, bees, mice, spiders, dirt, or dust, none if that will deter me if the machine is on spot for my needs. 
I’ve managed to acquire a gang of machines for less than a fraction of the asking price, and a fraction of a fraction of the new price.  Best find so far has been my 145w205 long arm. Seller wanted 2000$. A few hours later it was mine….. 175$ delivered… doesn’t matter where its been, its where its going.. 

239A6380-5887-4327-8A35-526197F8D17A.jpeg

Both great machines.  If you can get an original Adler , DA or genuine Juki, only better.  The older German made 205 machines had only a 12" throat.  The Juki 441 and clones have a 16.5" throat.  DA later made a 16" throat for Weaver.   The 205 is smoother and has the needle guard on the hook.  The Juki 441 and clones have the bobbin winder on front.  I personally have had 2  205 machines.  The one now has all the toys on it but trimmers.  Great machine.   Whichever one you can find at the best price, get it!

glenn

On 7/2/2022 at 8:52 PM, Garyak said:

Trash, bees, mice, spiders, dirt, or dust, none if that will deter me if the machine is on spot for my needs. 

:17: But you have to be able or at least be willing to help your self solving some machine issues. Making something out of nothing is the biggest pleasure for me.

2nd what Shoepatcher said - basically both are triple feed machines and use the same type of hook. Advantage of DA machines IMO is that they offer a lot of special application accessories for their machines ex factory. At least they did in the past. Not sure what is still available for the 205 which is obsolete now AFAIK.

BTW - Dürkopp took over Adler and the Co. is now Dürkopp-Adler so DA is not a clone of Adler.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:46 AM, Gulrok said:

My understanding is that both machine are extremely great performers. I too struggled with the same thing - figuring out which one was better.

:17: I had the same issue  . I went for the 441 clone. Never looked back. As for noise, I can hardly hear mine , and yes, parts are readily available  , thats the bit I looked at when choosing. Theres not too many industrial  machine dealers where I am .  My supplier is  in Queensland  Oz. When you find a good one, stick to it . 

HS