PrePro

Snaps, Tools and the FH Smith Universal

I could use some help on which snaps to buy and how to best install them.

I've tried Sailrite snaps and a Tandy Craftool and had occasional luck, and I have this old FH Smith Universal riveter device but I'm not sure I'm using it correctly or with the right bits/inserts.  I'd love to use this since it seems well built, but I can't come up with a combination of bits and crushing strength to set snaps, if there is one (see pic).
Right now I'm making tool holders/protectors and flask covers, and I'd like something more elegant for snaps - or at the least, reliable.
So, do you use one of these, or can you point me to how to select the proper bit and use it properly?
Or, what snaps do your customers love, and what tools do you use to set them?  

2022-07-02 09.56.14c.jpg

3 hours ago, PrePro said:

I could use some help on which snaps to buy and how to best install them.

I've tried Sailrite snaps and a Tandy Craftool and had occasional luck, and I have this old FH Smith Universal riveter device but I'm not sure I'm using it correctly or with the right bits/inserts.  I'd love to use this since it seems well built, but I can't come up with a combination of bits and crushing strength to set snaps, if there is one (see pic).
Right now I'm making tool holders/protectors and flask covers, and I'd like something more elegant for snaps - or at the least, reliable.
So, do you use one of these, or can you point me to how to select the proper bit and use it properly?
Or, what snaps do your customers love, and what tools do you use to set them?  

2022-07-02 09.56.14c.jpg

You didn't say what particular problems you are having but with the set up pictured you should be able to successfully set any of the snaps shown.  My guess would be that once you have selected the correct die for the snap you are setting then it's just a matter of setting the pressure.

The quality of the snap you are using also makes a difference; they aren't all the same even though they may look the same. 

Hello sbrownn,

I have to admit, I've been down the same road lately trying to find the right press or hand tools for the snaps I want to use for leather work, also canvas and vinyl work.

I've been using a Hoover "Press-N-Snap" for about 12 years or so. Main use/purpose for this tool was to apply grommets into my very long banners that I printed (wide format printer) and those were at least 20 feet long. So the grommets had to be strong. My Press-N-Snap came with a set of dies for applying Ligne/Line 24 Snaps. However, I never used that set of dies. I needed dies for grommets and bought those dies in (3) different sizes. They were not cheap but they were neccessary for the banner work I did then. I put the dies for the Line 24 snaps aside, thinking at the time that I'd probably figure out how to use them some day.

For  my first couple years printing wide format banners, I felt the need to add a foot press to my equipment to speed up production. Applying a lot of grommets by hand is not quick with the Press-N-Snap. So, I did invest in a table-top press that I built my own foot press for. I used an with old Singer treadle sewing machine base I had laying around. I disconnected the wheel on the treadle and added a pulley and some bungee cords and a hole in the table to pull the handle down with the old iron foot treadle. It worked perfect! Kind of fun too! It's a conversation piece! LOL.

More recently, I found a use for the Press-n-Snap die set for Line 24 snaps. That set of dies is the best thing I have for applying snaps in boat cushions!!!! I'm sure this set will also come in handy when I start making some stuff with leather too! How great that I already had it! I looked at the type of antique presses that you show in your photo and really wanted something that looked cool in my shop, but it just didn't make sense for me as I wasn't sure what dies to buy. It seems to me though, there is not a one size fits all press, I have collected a few presses, each one of them for different jobs. I don't mind having a few different ones because I can keepl one as a dedicated hole punch machine, or dedicated grommet machine, whatever. The lightest weight presss I have is another table top style, but lighter weight, I think probably aluminum. Current use for this one is to apply light duty rivets sizes #7, #8, and #9 mostly decorative type.

For heavier duty coppper rivets, I chose some hand setting tools for rivets and burrs.Those rivets will be #9 and #12. I'm planning to use them for leather work, waiting for delivery on those items. These rivets are more expensive than the decorative type rivets, but I think they will be much sturdier for my leather work. Time will tell!

The Press-N-Snap tool is my favorite though, because it is portable. It can be taken on site wherever I go, or easily attached to it's wall mount, I use it most often this way (on wall) for installing grommets. The only thing I am concerned about when using it on location to install boat cushions, is that I don't drop it in the ocean when working on a boat! I'd have to dive in and retrieve myprecious Press-n-Snap!

Edited by suzelle

Thank you @suzelle the Press-n-Snap came in the mail today and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for!  It seems like it's tough to mess anything up using that tool.  I was glad to see directions in the foldover paper hanger that came stapled to the bag.  I got the deluxe kit from sailrite including a bunch of starter packs of snaps.  

I love the copper rivets and I've used them on belts, they look great, sort of classy-rustic.  And yep they're pricey, bummer.  But I've switched to using beveled Chicago Screws on belts.  They have a nice clean look and it's probably nice to be able to swap out a buckle later. 

Your foot-operated device sounds interested feel free to post a pic!  But again a big thank you for the assist!

Hi Pet Pro,

Oh good, I am so glad that info came in handy! We end up collecting so many doo-dads it's crazy! Yes, I will try and post some photos of that singer thing. LOL. Just another purpose for one of those old Singer Treadles. I guess you could do it with any treadle, but I prefer the old Singer stuff when I can use it. Just memories from the past watching my own Mom sew on hers.