Anyone have one or have info about singer 16-26 or 16-27? I have been gifted a 16-26 and it dates 1865 by serial number. I have found almost no info about them and it appears that the difference between the two types of industrial machines was fabric vs leather needle but I can't even be sure of that. She is A BEAST. I will be going through and cleaning etc but I am really looking for ANY info out there. Thanks!

Amanda in WV

there was a 16-26 on Ebay classified in Germany a while ago:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/singer-vintage-naehmaschine-model-16-26-sehr-selten-/2079646970-240-23414

IMO a plain class 16 with most likely just difference accessories ex factory (thats how the sub classes differ most of the time) so nothing really special on the machine it self but maybe others know more.

A relatively "small" beast in the industrial sewin machine class - you most likely have not come across a Singer 45K or 132K yet  ;)

In the "Singer Industrial World" you find a lot of information regarding the sub classes in the parts list of the models.

If you can´t find a 16 parts list look for 16K Parts lists (same machine just made in the UK and not US)

Edited by Constabulary

2 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/singer-vintage-naehmaschine-model-16-26-sehr-selten-/2079646970-240-23414

IMO a plain class 16 with most likely just difference accessories ex factory (thats how the sub classes differ most of the time) so nothing really special on the machine it self but maybe others know more.

A relatively "small" beast in the industrial sewin machine class - you most likely have not come across a Singer 45K or 132K yet  ;)

Lol compared to my Landis....it is an infant for sure! Now to figure out which needles will work

19 minutes ago, amandabstewart said:

Lol compared to my Landis....it is an infant for sure! Now to figure out which needles will work

Just noticed your "profile"... Yeah then rather an embryo compared with a landis #1 :lol:

Singer 16 usually use System 16 needles - don´t care a bout the number behind the 16 too much, they describe the needle tip usually.

Same needle is the system 287 or DBx1 or 1738

https://www.organneedle.com/industrie.php?p=DBx1&v=produkt&l=en

https://www.sailrite.com/Needles-DBx1-Serv7-10-Pack-10

EDIT:

I had edited my 1st post (see above)

Edited by Constabulary

So which needle would you recommend for some leather work? Nothing crazy...just to get her running.

Also...should i attempt to CLEAN the inside mechanism?

52 minutes ago, amandabstewart said:

So which needle would you recommend for some leather work?

System 16X257LR, aka: DBXF2, aka: 1738LR Leather Point needles

thank you so much for all of this info! now...to get her in and start cleaning

you can also use round point needles for certain leather work. Especially for lighter leather. So basically any system 16 / 1738 / DBx1 / 287 needle will work in this machine.

Think I found the problem area LOL. Now she is working as she should....will try some needles and actual sewing when I get a temporary wood top on the treadle base. Dad is restoring the wood top and I won't have that back until October. No way I am waiting that long to play with it. 

image000000(1).jpg

16 hours ago, dikman said:

I'm trying to figure out what sort of adjustment that screw provides!:lol:

Lol....when I first tried to remove the front cover it was stuck....then while cleaning other areas it popped off....with the metal pin flying out. I thought it was ruined....only to determine that metal pin, 2 paper clips, and the screw were all bonus extras! Not sure if I win a prize or anything but it does make me think this is a good place to stash my pirate gold!

Question about resurfacing the sewing surface....epoxy, enamel, or leave alone? Plan is to really use her not just decor

On 7/3/2022 at 2:11 PM, Constabulary said:

In the "Singer Industrial World" you find a lot of information regarding the sub classes in the parts list of the models.

If you can´t find a 16 parts list look for 16K Parts lists (same machine just made in the UK and not US)

Excuse my ignorance but is the Singer Industrial World a general term? Or another list serv?

There's not much of the original coating left on the base, the simplest (!) way would be to get rid of what's left (paint stripper/sanding), mask it off, apply a coat of primer and a final coat of your choice. Give it a few days to cure before using it. You could use epoxy if you want but it seems a bit over-the-top to me.

14 hours ago, amandabstewart said:

Excuse my ignorance but is the Singer Industrial World a general term?

No thats why I put it in quotation marks. Sometimes folks that come from domestic machines (you never know) have a different view on sewing machines and the industrial sewing machine world can be different to what they have experienced so far (sometimes). I just wanted to give a hint where you can find information on old Singer industrial models. ;)