minellix

Belt advice

Just curious if anybody puts anything in their belts to keep them from bending in the middle of the back.

I usually just line them, total thickness between 12-14 oz.  If the belt will be used as duty/carry belt, I add a layer of nylon webbing for more stiffness with less twist or bow. 

JRodz uses nylon webbing . . . I use 3/4 inch stainless steel.

They do not bend . . . or at least the ones I have access to seeing do not.

Haven't tried going thru airport security with one on though yet.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've also heard of using Kydex as a stiffener but haven't not done it personally.

Thinking about adding to my next carry belt.

18 hours ago, KYCat said:

I've also heard of using Kydex as a stiffener but haven't not done it personally.

I think you're right. Quite some years ago, a late friend of mine  showed me a belt that he used at his gun club. On the  (your) right  side of the belt , it was reinforced . It had a thin (?) piece of metal ,  so he told me , sandwiched & sewn between  two pieces of leather , to take the weight of the gun & holster I guess.  But thinking back, it may well have been Kydex or similar material , because it had to be flexible. 

HS

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I think you're right. Quite some years ago, a late friend of mine  showed me a belt that he used at his gun club. On the  (your) right  side of the belt , it was reinforced . It had a thin (?) piece of metal ,  so he told me , sandwiched & sewn between  two pieces of leather , to take the weight of the gun & holster I guess.  But thinking back, it may well have been Kydex or similar material , because it had to be flexible. 

HS

Not sure what Handstitched meant by "flexible" . . . but here are a couple of double layer belts I've made . . . both are set up for a 36 inch waist . . . and obviously I've pulled them much smaller in the picture . . . probably in the 32 inch waist category as they lay there on the bed.

The brown one is a standard double layer belt.

The black one is steel lined from the screws you can see by the belt keeper . . . the lining goes all the way around to about 1/2 inch from where the first buckle hole starts out.

I wear both . . . the steel lined is to me quite comfortable . . . and when I get up . . . I thread a cell phone holster on the left side . . . and a 9mm holster on the right side . . . 

Hope this helps clear up how well a lined belt can actually be.

May God bless,

Dwight

belts.jpg

Edited by Dwight