jcwoman

Hello from northern Virginia! I make some specific dog products with leather

Hi all!  I learned basic leather crafting from our local makerspace last year and it really jumped me into doing regular projects.  My makerspace moved away so it's no longer convenient to get to, so I came here for advice on how to improve my techniques and tool use.  My biggest challenge right now is making sure that the row of buckle holes are lined up correctly when I punch them.  Dang, that's harder than it seems it should be!  The items I make I sell in my online shop so they need to look good, and I also have to make them in batches, of about a dozen or so at a time.  Maybe the constant practice will help eventually but I'm sure - since I'm essentially a noob - improved tools and techniques is also what I need.

Okay, I'm off to browse the rest of the forum!

Hi there and welcome!

Check out this topic on the forum:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/67-purses-wallets-belts-and-miscellaneous-pocket-items/

Should be able to post your questions there.

Best of luck!

48 minutes ago, jcwoman said:

Hi all!  I learned basic leather crafting from our local makerspace last year and it really jumped me into doing regular projects.  My makerspace moved away so it's no longer convenient to get to, so I came here for advice on how to improve my techniques and tool use.  My biggest challenge right now is making sure that the row of buckle holes are lined up correctly when I punch them.  Dang, that's harder than it seems it should be!  The items I make I sell in my online shop so they need to look good, and I also have to make them in batches, of about a dozen or so at a time.  Maybe the constant practice will help eventually but I'm sure - since I'm essentially a noob - improved tools and techniques is also what I need.

Okay, I'm off to browse the rest of the forum!

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of good information here.

Hi, thanks! 

Welcome!  One way to center holes on a strap is to use dividers.  Lightly scribe a short line on either side of center, or just press the point on either side, then punch between the marks.  Scribing parallel lines is really helpful when using an oblong/bag/crew punch to orient the punch.  JH Leather videos on Youtube show a lot of techniques for working with straps.

Thanks, Tom.  I did see a video of that technique somewhere.  I definitely want to try it.  Currently I make a line down the center of the strap but I find that I'm still going wonky.  Trying to perfectly center a 2mm punch on a .4mm (just guessing what a pencil line is) line...  ain't working for me!  But I think I can center the punch between two parallel lines.

make a template out of heavy card stock, or something similar the exact size you need. then its a matter of just laying it on the leather and mark the holes and punch them out.  those cheap plastic school report holders work well. Welcome and good luck!!

Print it out on paper, glue it to card stock, have a cutting die made, it will be faster and use a one ton harbor freight press to push it down

I use this;

Strap hole spacer, 04LWs.jpg

Two pegs, you see them top and bottom, the black dots, and a hole centred between them. Put the pegs against the sides of the strap and the centre hole will always give the centre of the strap, no matter what size width the strap is. The circular lines help with spacing; put the line over the previous centre hole and the new holes will be evenly spaced out

Oh, I love this idea!  What did you make that out of?

looks like acrylic