jcwoman

Need advice for hole punching - can't tell if I have poor tools or just my inexperience

I had a thought; there might be a burr up the tube of the punch. 

Either; try a different punch or get a jeweller's rat-tail file and file the insides of the punch you have. Not to sharpen it but to smooth the insides of that tube

On 7/8/2022 at 12:42 AM, bruce johnson said:

I wind some coarse steel wool onto a slow spinning drill bit and make a steel wool QTip. I run that in and out of the tube a few times from the top end to clean the inside of the tube

I was thinking about this in bed last night and was working out how I might do it with 2mm punches.  Maybe I could wrap a tiny bit of cloth around the end of the wire brad, dip it in some course polishing cream/powder and then do this trick.   It would be tricky but might be worth a try.  I really feel like the cheap punches I have currently are poorly finished on the inside, causing them to jam up constantly. 

And I can still buy better quality punches, if it don't work.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:33 AM, fredk said:

I had a thought; there might be a burr up the tube of the punch. 

Either; try a different punch or get a jeweller's rat-tail file and file the insides of the punch you have. Not to sharpen it but to smooth the insides of that tube

Ohhh, a jeweler's rat-tail file.... that's a new idea!  Thanks, I'll google that!

48 minutes ago, jcwoman said:

I was thinking about this in bed last night and was working out how I might do it with 2mm punches.  Maybe I could wrap a tiny bit of cloth around the end of the wire brad, dip it in some course polishing cream/powder and then do this trick.   It would be tricky but might be worth a try.  I really feel like the cheap punches I have currently are poorly finished on the inside, causing them to jam up constantly. 

And I can still buy better quality punches, if it don't work.

Ohhh, a jeweler's rat-tail file.... that's a new idea!  Thanks, I'll google that!

You're over thinking it. Use a silicone chopping board and hit it hard enough and the plugs will work their way out.

if you are doing a lot you should consider a cheap drill press and drill your holes with a drill bit,  many folks do that, when set up its much faster and a lot easier.  2mm hole punches are hard to clear because of their small size more than anything.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

if you are doing a lot you should consider a cheap drill press and drill your holes with a drill bit,  many folks do that, when set up its much faster and a lot easier.  2mm hole punches are hard to clear because of their small size more than anything.

Rather than using a drill bit I just chuck my punch in the drill press as it makes a much cleaner hole.

Little bit of an update and basically continuing frustration.  I got a couple of Osborne punches, also 2mm tiny things.  I read that they're not sharp right out of the box but that's okay.  I know keeping my tools sharp is my job.  I actually did find that they're sharper on the first use than the cheap ones that came with my chinese punch tool.  Punched like butter for the first 5 or so holes, and then started to clog.  I remembered I need to punch them into wax, so did so but that didn't stop it from clogging.

What I'm noticing with these, both the cheap ones and the Osborne's, is that they just don't clear themselves like they're supposed to.  Likely due to their tiny size, like Chuck said.  The leather plugs get impacted inside, and if I keep working, they just get more impacted and start pressing little circles in the leather instead of punching and clearing themselves. 

I'm also seeing that using a fine wire brad (like a small finish nail) to try to gently hammer the plugs out of them is ruining the edges.  I can feel the burrs forming on the edge with my finger.  So that's not a good practice.

I guess I'm still on the hunt for the best tool for punching small buckle holes in dog collars (6/7 weight leather).  Ugh!

Try these, the  larger holes on these might do your job

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/hand-sewing-leather-punch?_pos=4&_sid=83253a55d&_ss=r

You can buy these for a lot less than that price. The last pair I bought just about 2 months ago cost about me £11 ($13.50 approx). And they are worth every penny of that

Edited by fredk

2 hours ago, jcwoman said:

Little bit of an update and basically continuing frustration.  I got a couple of Osborne punches, also 2mm tiny things.  I read that they're not sharp right out of the box but that's okay.  I know keeping my tools sharp is my job.  I actually did find that they're sharper on the first use than the cheap ones that came with my chinese punch tool.  Punched like butter for the first 5 or so holes, and then started to clog.  I remembered I need to punch them into wax, so did so but that didn't stop it from clogging.

What I'm noticing with these, both the cheap ones and the Osborne's, is that they just don't clear themselves like they're supposed to.  Likely due to their tiny size, like Chuck said.  The leather plugs get impacted inside, and if I keep working, they just get more impacted and start pressing little circles in the leather instead of punching and clearing themselves. 

I'm also seeing that using a fine wire brad (like a small finish nail) to try to gently hammer the plugs out of them is ruining the edges.  I can feel the burrs forming on the edge with my finger.  So that's not a good practice.

I guess I'm still on the hunt for the best tool for punching small buckle holes in dog collars (6/7 weight leather).  Ugh!

You don't need to spend big money on punches. I use these in 0.8mm, 1.2mm and 1.5mm and they've been fine. My guess is there's glue involved somewhere. You won't notice until you leave the pellets to stick to each other and the inside wall of the punch. If this is the case just punch a few holes in some non glued stuff and maybe leave the punch in a small jar of solvent or thinners.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122584851260?var=425413248570

I'd be really surprised if there's any glue, since I'm buying un-dyed veg-tan strips and oil and dye them myself AFTER I cut and punch the holes.  However, I can still rinse/soak the punches in a jar of solvent.  I was also thinking of dipping them in neatsfoot oil instead of wax thinking maybe that will lubricate them better.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:04 PM, fredk said:

Try these, the  larger holes on these might do your job

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/hand-sewing-leather-punch?_pos=4&_sid=83253a55d&_ss=r

You can buy these for a lot less than that price. The last pair I bought just about 2 months ago cost about me £11 ($13.50 approx). And they are worth every penny of that

I like this tool, although would prefer if it was a desktop tool, to save my hands.  hahah!