Cosplayholic

Help for Juki 1510 fault

Inner hook guide

Trapped thread

I am a fairly new owner of my juki 1510. I was chugging away sewing the other day when I heard a horrible sound and got an error message on my motor. I immediately switched off the machine and took out my work (thankfully just some prototype bits), I gently turned the hand wheel and noticed it would not do a full rotation. After opening the bobbin flap I saw there was a lot of thread wound up in it. I cleared most of it but there is still some trapped in the mechanism (pictured). I have followed a YouTube video trying to remove the bobin case so that I could clean it but am unable to remove the casing itself. 

I think what is preventing the wheel from doing a full rotation is the position of the inner hook guide (akso pictured)? I am unsure if it is sitting right or what I should do with it.

If anyone familiar with the machine could give me some pointers it would be much appreciated!

Edited by Cosplayholic

Try pulling on the thread while jiggling the wheel. You may be able to free it enough to pull the thread out.

When that doesn't clear the thread you'll have to remove the bobbin basket. To do this, unscrew the three tiny screws and remove the curved bracket holding the bobbin basket in the hook housing. Use a small blade magnetic or magnetized screw driver with a fat handle to loosen them. Place the screws on a magnet so they don't get lost!

Oil the hook and bobbin basket race after clearing the jam. Don't forget to reinstall the throat plate and align the bobbin basket tab in the indentation in the plate.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

Try pulling on the thread while jiggling the wheel. You may be able to free it enough to pull the thread out.

When that doesn't clear the thread you'll have to remove the bobbin basket. To do this, unscrew the three tiny screws and remove the curved bracket holding the bobbin basket in the hook housing. Use a small blade magnetic or magnetized screw driver with a fat handle to loosen them. Place the screws on a magnet so they don't get lost!

Oil the hook and bobbin basket race after clearing the jam. Don't forget to reinstall the throat plate and align the bobbin basket tab in the indentation in the plate.

This is what I have done, first i tried to remove the thread by wiggling. Then I removed 3 screws and the bracket. I can't seem to dislodge the bobbin basket. In the video I was watching it came out without much force after orientating it so I don't want to harm anything trying to remove it. I'm unsure if the inner hook guide is preventing me from being able to position the bobbin basket correctly.

Here is a video that may help:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/727851985?h=dd882cfa71

Edited by Cosplayholic

If you can rotate the hook to get the tab on the basket facing you, you might try prying the basket up with a wooden spoon or flat stick. The thread must have really gotten wound around the hook multiple times. Did you know about holding back the starting threads, especially the top thread when you start sewing? Vertical hook machines all seem to suffer from thread around the bobbin case if the starting threads are left loose.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:56 PM, Wizcrafts said:

If you can rotate the hook to get the tab on the basket facing you, you might try prying the basket up with a wooden spoon or flat stick. The thread must have really gotten wound around the hook multiple times. Did you know about holding back the starting threads, especially the top thread when you start sewing? Vertical hook machines all seem to suffer from thread around the bobbin case if the starting threads are left loose.

Attempted to pry out with a wooden spoon... the spoon split in 2. It is truly jammed

I do pull my threads out the way but I haven't been holding it tight, I'll definitely be doing that in the future 

Edited by Cosplayholic

OK - First get the needle and foot out of the way please, and you also might have to remove the the bobbin case opener finger - Remember approximately where it's set, so you can get it back in the right place. 

Take some needle-nose pliers, and see if you can grab the edge of the bobbin basket - It's really hard steel, so you won't harm it. The thing is, it only lifts out in one position, and you have to hold it still while you turn the hook race, until it will come out.  So hold the basket, while turning the hand wheel. Wiggle the hand wheel back and forth, until it comes out - Don't force it, and when it gets to the right place it will pop out easily.

It's a feel sort of thing - you'll know when it's going to lift out. I've done this so many times, I can do it in my sleep almost - But be patient, and it will come out.

Maybe someone else will chime in and describe this better, but anyway, that's how I do it.