Is off topic gone

No, just click on the green bar at the top of the page. It's by permission only now.

43 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

No, just click on the green bar at the top of the page. It's by permission only now.

Beat me to it

This should keep the whiners out 

The problem was that there was no way to keep the posts from that forum from showing on the "unread content" feature, and it turned off many of our regulars who had to scroll though all the posts about things that aren't leatherwork. I struggled with this. When the pandemic hit, many members wanted to talk to their peers about what they were seeing, and get perspective from people they know and respect. I felt like censoring posts was unAmerican, but it just kept getting out of hand. I don't mind everyone sharing opinions, because mostly people are respectful or clear in explaining what they think so both sides think about their point. But not everyone can deal with this, and they come to leatherworker.net to talk about leather and get away from all the stuff on Twitter and Facebook. I don't want these leatherworkers who want to participate in discussions like this silenced, but I've got to have it off the main board. So I fixed it so THAT forum can be seen if you send me a PM and it won't show to anybody that isn't in it. Let's keep dinner table conversation on the main board, and keep our world grievances in the private room. Please tell people who have left because of this grand experiment to come back. We aren't going to flog leatherworkers with distracting posts unless they specifically ask for it. 

I also want to apologize to Wiz and Northmount for not figuring out a hack sooner, and putting you in awkward positions when you tried to defend free speech, but personally thought the posts had no business on a leatherwork forum. Tom, you were right from the start, and you tried to tell me. You have always added a reasonable voice to our discussions.

I'm going to add you regulars, because you all seem to have tough skin and like this exchange of ideas. Everyone else just wants to ignore you folks. The good news is that you get to keep all the awful jokes.

Thank you to all the members that put up with this. It is now safe to log in and take advantage of all the forum features. If you forgot how to log in, send an email to admin@leatherworker.net and I'll get you fixed up. We are going to be updating shortly, and I'm excited about the new things we'll be able to offer. 

Johanna

@Johanna it is never easy being a moderator and trying to please everyone is just plain impossible.  I think your doing a good job balancing things out and I hope it brings back the helpful and talented artisans who help people like me get better (and sometimes jealous ;))

I sent a PM this morning but have not gotten a response

will we have to pm every time we wish to comment are just this one time

Thank you for respecting freespeech 

i

7 hours ago, Johanna said:

The problem was that there was no way to keep the posts from that forum from showing on the "unread content" feature, and it turned off many of our regulars who had to scroll though all the posts about things that aren't leatherwork. I struggled with this. When the pandemic hit, many members wanted to talk to their peers about what they were seeing, and get perspective from people they know and respect. I felt like censoring posts was unAmerican, but it just kept getting out of hand. I don't mind everyone sharing opinions, because mostly people are respectful or clear in explaining what they think so both sides think about their point. But not everyone can deal with this, and they come to leatherworker.net to talk about leather and get away from all the stuff on Twitter and Facebook. I don't want these leatherworkers who want to participate in discussions like this silenced, but I've got to have it off the main board. So I fixed it so THAT forum can be seen if you send me a PM and it won't show to anybody that isn't in it. Let's keep dinner table conversation on the main board, and keep our world grievances in the private room. Please tell people who have left because of this grand experiment to come back. We aren't going to flog leatherworkers with distracting posts unless they specifically ask for it. 

I also want to apologize to Wiz and Northmount for not figuring out a hack sooner, and putting you in awkward positions when you tried to defend free speech, but personally thought the posts had no business on a leatherwork forum. Tom, you were right from the start, and you tried to tell me. You have always added a reasonable voice to our discussions.

I'm going to add you regulars, because you all seem to have tough skin and like this exchange of ideas. Everyone else just wants to ignore you folks. The good news is that you get to keep all the awful jokes.

Thank you to all the members that put up with this. It is now safe to log in and take advantage of all the forum features. If you forgot how to log in, send an email to admin@leatherworker.net and I'll get you fixed up. We are going to be updating shortly, and I'm excited about the new things we'll be able to offer. 

Johanna

Sounds to me like a very good move and thank you thank you and thank you. If I hit that green bar at the top will I get to see all that political crap again and then not be able to turn it back off? People outside of the USA come here regular and don't generally come to a leather working forum to see all of that stuff. The forum was great and I think will be so again if the disrespectful commenting can be kept away somewhere else. I personally have been asked by some to step in and say something  and as  I believe in people having the right to their opinions so I have not. This has led to them leaving unfortunately. I have a pretty thick skin myself so it does not bother me and  I have advised them they should only be upset if they think that persons opinion matters. I do moderate on a couple of other forums over here in OZ and will add that I don't for a second loose any sleep on kicking out members that are not respectful and are not contributing in what those forums are set up for. CONGRATULATIONS Johanna, Wiz, Northmount and all else involved that work at keeping this forum going.

Frodo- I'm making a list now. I'll add them all late tonight or early in the morning. 

3 minutes ago, Johanna said:

Frodo- I'm making a list now. I'll add them all late tonight or early in the morning. 

Thank you.

@Johanna, Thank you. I am from the U.S. and don't really care for that stuff.  I think I have thick enough skin but feel like most of it is a waste of time.  I do feel everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't come here for it unless it is about leatherwork.  I really appreciate all the hard work all the moderators put in.  Thank you!  As always, JM2C.  Jim

Uhm, YAY!

The 'green bar' flashes for about 1 second on my screen  here in Oz, sometimes it doesn't flash at all.  . 

All good . My jokes were pretty bad anyway  :yes:  

HS

I had a 'green bar' flash up yesterday evening, for about 2 seconds. I haven't seen it again.

We have 'green' bars and 'orange' bars here. As I'm colour-blind I just drink at home

my green bar is constant. it brings me to this conversation

Edited by Frodo

meabee I got included automatically so I don't need no 'green bar' like you lesser minions do,  :P

If you clicked the X the cookies remember you don't want to see it again. It just says that we welcome all conversation about leather and leatherwork, but no more controversial topics on the main board, then directs to my post here. You're on my "include" list @fredk I'll add them shortly, after the thunderstorm passes.

Our function on this corner of the Internet is to provide a place for leatherworkers to discuss and share anything leather related. That is what we do. Thank you everyone for your understanding and support. 

@Johanna I appreciate this decision and know it's for the best.  I'll make an effort to post more now.

I too want to add my voice of thanks for the change / hack, @Johanna! Like quite a few people mentioned, I was also put off by the uncivil vitriol I saw appearing on the forum, and started drawing back from even just reading posts. I really hope the change will have the desired effect, and encourage some of the lurkers to start part. To Johanna and the mods - thank you for doing a great job! I too have moderated online forums and discussions lists before, and know how difficult it can be to reign in high contributing members who sometimes "go rogue" on topics no one expected to get out of hand. My motto has always been "Moderate a great forum like you cook a small fish - very little. But don't serve it up raw!" 

I did try to click on the ' green bar' at the top , but it disappeared quicker than I can say,  'Leatherworker.net'  . It was there barely a second. Had my little pointer in position ready to click on it  too  :) . Must be losing my touch.  Does anyone know what it says?? 

HS 

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Does anyone know what it says?? 

See Johanna's post 3 or 4 above yours.